Display case mounting

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
honkey

Display case mounting

Post by honkey »

Hi guys - I was wondering if some of you here can offer advice on mounting your blades inside a shadow box or display hanging on the wall. I'd like to be able to hang the display on the wall, but remove the knives without much effort. I mounted my FHM balisong case on the wall and attached the knives with thin wire - looks kind of cool, but not easy to remove. I'd like to mount the knives vertically in the display, if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Honkey
Attachments
Bali's.JPG
Bali's.JPG (101.81 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
easy_rider

Re: Display case mounting

Post by easy_rider »

I too am looking for a display case I can hang like this
john

Post by john »

You can try the rare earth magnets.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I use one or more 2" foam pads cut to shape, staked in the box and covered with green or red backing. The amount of foam is enough to press the knives against the glass cover preventing slipping. This has been successful with every size knife I own including large display pieces.
john

Post by john »

natcherly wrote:I use one or more 2" foam pads cut to shape, staked in the box and covered with green or red backing. The amount of foam is enough to press the knives against the glass cover preventing slipping. This has been successful with every size knife I own including large display pieces.
Sounds like a good solution.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

natcherly wrote:I use one or more 2" foam pads cut to shape, staked in the box and covered with green or red backing. The amount of foam is enough to press the knives against the glass cover preventing slipping. This has been successful with every size knife I own including large display pieces.
Mr. Natch,

Where did you buy the 2'' foam? I tried to buy some at the local Michael's, but they didn't have any, nor could they tell me where I might purchase some...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

It has been a few years since I bought any cases or foam. Didn't know there was a foam shortage :shock:

Try googling soft foam sheets, or some combo of that. I'm greatly surprised Michael's doesn't have this stuff.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Natch anna link, Mr. Teq. - Should be able to find something nowness...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Dern good idea there ,,,,,So should the foam be of thickness flush to the glass when the top is closed down to compress , or a tad shy ? I`m thinking maybe 1/4" would work ? what`s your thoughts guys ?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

It depends on the firmness of the foam and the thickness of the knife or knives. Unless the foam is very soft, like memory foam, placing it flush with the glass runs the risk of splitting the glass when cover is closed.