UK switchblade law that is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to answer.

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DirtyHarry

UK switchblade law that is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to answer.

Post by DirtyHarry »

I was going to register on britishblades in order to try and get an answer to this , but i cant stand that moronic forum..

Now we all know about the switchblade issue in the UK..

However if its the "law" why on earth are there countless switchblades in films,tv dramas, etc.. The recent Brighton Rock remake features 5 at least.

Now.. ofcourse this is not a licence law..indeed if you only required a licence then there would be no real issue (even though the very idea is rediculous)

I cant find an answer to this anywhere online.. and im certain this would draw a complete BLANK if you asked anyone in authority.

There is no possible answer that would make sense.

can someone prove me wrong.

PS.. just so you know im not a new comer here i was posting on here years ago (long before both Teddy and Spotlight passed away) but i chose nowadays to never use my real name online (or anything remotly similar).

thanks...
You know, it's disgusting that a police officer should know how to use a weapon like that.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: UK switchblade law that is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to answ

Post by Vagrant »

Most countries have special exemptions for theatrical organizations. When those are lacking the production is moved to a different area.
The fact they are "illegal/dangerous/bad" insures continued attention.
In my state they are perfectly legal and sales are very poor :(
But being a mile or two from a state where they are VERY illegal assures some sales :wink:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Yeah, film companies can get and use stuff that would otherwise be illegal (how do you think they get post 86 machine guns in most modern action films).

But, also, keep in mind that in films most everything is a prop, the knives are most likely not sharp, not one bit. Therefor they are not knives, switch combs are legal in the U.K, so this proves that even if it appears to be a real knife as long as it does not have a blade, it's fine. Same applies to movies, blank guns are not guns so it dosent matter, there is no registration or restrictions (unless it's a retrofit (as in a reversible process)).
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
DirtyHarry

Post by DirtyHarry »

Ive searched more online and still not found an answer. What im looking for is the actual official line, the stated written law regarding this.

can anyone find it?

cheers.
You know, it's disgusting that a police officer should know how to use a weapon like that.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Ummm because they like STUPID laws? :wink:
Colin KC

Post by Colin KC »

Switchblades aren't illegal per se inna UK.

It's illegal to import, manufacture, sell, hire or give them & they are considered to be offensive weapons (by dint of their banned status) if you are caught with one in the street.

However.

There is a "grandfather rule" that means you can own one if it became yours before the ban & even having one for the purpose of filming is allowed, but the company that supplies it is a licenced company that also is allowed things like machine guns & sawn off shotguns for just this purpose.

I hope that helps

Alla best

Colin