Straight Razor

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Straight Razor

Post by Viking45 »

Been thinking about going Old School and start shaving with a straight razor.
I am a lazy shaver,maybe every two to three days :roll:
In my line of work no one even notices.

Just wondering how many members here use a straight razor and what they use with it.
I recall someone mentioning they actually use the mug and brush.

Also like to know what brand of razor they use etc etc.
Razor_54

Re: Straight Razor

Post by Razor_54 »

Have been using a straight razor for the last 25 years or so and don't regret switching.
They provide the best shave possible which can last about 2 days and i got a heavy beard.
Also use the mug and a badger hair brush, along with a wet towel on weekends. 8)
A cake of shaving soap last me 6 months along with a dubl duck satinedge razor i bought originally. Still razor sharp.
Aside from he dubl duck, I have a couple of Dovo's and a Boker. My favorite by far is a Spanish Filarmonica 7/8 hollow ground. All take an edge easily and last.
We can go on for hours on the benefits of straight razor shaving, but the best way is to try it. :D
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Great guide for straight razor users and novice.

http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/Th ... -Shave.pdf
~RAZOR~
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Never used a straight razor but used to use a butterfly knife. Worked great
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

wow old school shaving , ive use a straight razor a few times a year for shaving, i think i have 4 or 5 of them , all the ones i have are either german or italian , they do provide a very smooth shave that usually last 4 -5 days for me and you wont have to buy razors ever :) , i now use the Gillette fusion power razor with 4 blades in it , i bought a pack of 10 of them and they have lasted me for over a year now , they say when the green strip at top of razor is gone its time to change razor but they will last alot longer than they say, 1 razor usually lat me 2-3 months easy i just soak them in hottest water that comes out the tap but there is no better way to get the best shave other than a straight razor just be careful you can slice your throat/face very easily , luckily i have never cut myself but i dont use them every day i use them once in awhile maybe 3-4 times a year, we have a lady barber in town here who will shave you exclusively with a straight razor and man i tell you she is busy busy busy as alot of guys like the fact that the shave she provides last up to 4 days. i was always under the impression that the Germans made the best metal which was out of solingen so the razors i have are from solingen.
Thanks Bernie
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Been using a straight for over 40yrs. Have the same Dovo I started with plus a couple more Dovos, 2 D Ducks. Now I only hit the neck and cheeks a bit because when I'm traveling I keep a short beard for convenience. I tried a triple edge whammer/jammer and it sucked. There is a learning curve best I remember. My sons use a multi blade whizbang of some kind when they aren't growing beards.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Also like to know what brand of razor they use etc etc.
If you want something cheap get an old Genco Master Barber (they run about $40-50)

If you want something nice get a Dovo
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks a lot for the input guys.
The one I had my eye on was a Dovo,they run from 50/60 bucks all the way up the scale.
I can't justify spending 100 bucks on one.
If I do this I want to use the cup and badger fur brush etc.
I have found some very nice strops either German or Italian made for around 30/40 bucks.

I missed a chance at a vintage Puma that was still new and unused for about 50 bucks :cry:
Probably will go for a German razor.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

True a good Dovo will cost up and over $100, but image no more disposables and you would have a great razor for life. 8) :D
~RAZOR~
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

If you buy a vintage razor you will most likely have to have it restored, and/or rehoned. This will cost, seeing as how it takes skill.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
hogwild

Post by hogwild »

re-honing a straight is a breeze. Use a flat 1000 waterstone, lay the blade flat and hone away, flip, repeat same number times, switch to 4000 flat waterstone, repeat both sides. When you think you're there, strop on leather. Try it out on face. I repeat there is a learning curve to the shave. At first it will seem lousy.

Prepping your face is the biggie, I shave right after the shower, beat up a big dollup of shaving foam in your mug, apply, shave- carefully.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hogwild is correct. Honing is a simple task, learning to properly using the razor is another story. :lol:
I use 4000/8000 Norton waterstone followed by a 12,000 Japanese Naniwa stone for final polishing.
~RAZOR~
hogwild

Post by hogwild »

I just added a 8k stone and then started stropping on 0.25 diamond. Seems a bit too far but I have to admit it does give a better shave. I really hate to change my routine but someone over at straight razor place kept going on about going the extra mile and I finally broke down and added the extra stone and the diamond. Works like a champ and I have to admit- it does shave smoother and easier on the face.

I hate to make changes that really work. Sometimes it's nice to be ignorant; and cheaper too.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Hoggie- I am glad you brought this back to life. I am always looking at razors,soaps etc. I am not even a beginner,I haven't bought a razor yet.
Hopefully Razor and Bernie will chime-in on this.
After becoming a little more informed on the subject I still want to ask the experts about let's say thickness of blade/angle etc. Do you guys prefer the rounded tips or square.
(I know my terms are off but I feel out of place using the correct terms)

Also on this subject of thickness etc I realize the hardcore straight razor users can sometimes have a razor for each day depending on the beard growth. Sorry fellas,you guys have taken this shaving thing a bit too far for this country boy :lol:

I do not want a "beginner's" razor. I want to learn on the first razor I am going buy to use from now on. I don't have the bucks to buy another razor and I plan to spend a few on my first one but I hope to get a decent razor for 150 or less. This is a drop in the bucket for guys that take this serious,they pay much that for a soap dish.

We have mentioned Dovo,Puma,Boker and Razor mentioned his Spanish Filarmonica and I read many reviews considering this one of the finest shaves.
We always tend to think of Germany,England and Sweden as the finest steel but then again Toledo was always a big name in steel.

If want to spend the next 48 hours looking at straight razor names have a look at this list- (the first page in only A-M) :shock:
http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i ... ufacturers

More straight razor makers than knife makers.

I hope my first one is a vintage. :idea:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hey Viking, here's a great site for all you needs from soaps to honing stones and strops.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html
As for the round or square tip, depends on personal taste. I prefer the round for shaving around the nose or against the grain on the chin or other sensitive areas, aside from that both will give the same smooth shave.
Another favorite of mine is the French Thiers-Issard razors in a 11/16 size full hollow ground. You always can get a 6/8 or 5/8 if the big razors scare you. :lol: For approx $250 you can get yourself an excellent razor that will last for many years to come. Too many excellent razors to mention.
The only real vintage razors I own is the 7 day set of the dubl duck razor WonderEdge in 5/8 size. Just get lazy to strop every day so I do them all once a week and rotate.
If anyone is interested I can make copies of Lynn Abrams DVD, founder of StraightRazorPlace, on Straight Razor Shaving and honing. PM me.
~RAZOR~