Blade tempering

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thatoneguy

Blade tempering

Post by thatoneguy »

Is there a way to temper or heat treat steel in a way other than a forge out anything expensive. Or just any cheap way to make steel stronger would be useful
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Re: Blade tempering

Post by tr4252 »

Hi one,

It depends on the steel. One reason I like to work with 1095 is because heat treatment is relatively easy. Of course, its qualities as a blade are most important.

What type of steel are you looking to heat treat?

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Due to cost restraints it will just be 440
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Will you be making the blade, or heat treating an existing one? I don't work with stainless much, but 440 comes in different grades or alloys. I think 440C is best for knife blades, but someone else here would know more, especially the heat treatment options. If you don't get an answer, maybe re-posting the question on Bill Deshiv's forum would work. He should know.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I think ill try both and see which is more fun. Btw thanks for being so helpful
JaGidEdge

Post by JaGidEdge »

Ive heard of old chisels and large recipricating saw blades, being good to use for DIY blades. Ive only used cheap premade blanks, and then only a few times. I understand you have to work slowly with power tools when shaping or it will mess up the tempering. Im not sure how many lifetimes it would take to turn a file into the shape you want tho.
MarcusRobinson

Post by MarcusRobinson »

Steels are incredibly complex, more complex than you can imagine. Seriously. Steel experts have an inhuman amount of knowledge. The different alloys we can mix out of them, and how we control their internal molecular structure means we can do some incredible things with the stuff. Look at all the steel-based machining parts -- high-speed steel is designed in a very specific way so that its failure mode is well known.

Thanks.
Marcus Robinson
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

I enjoy the read......But i got nothin. LOL