Identitiy of a fine 19th century knife

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
cyrus

Identitiy of a fine 19th century knife

Post by cyrus »

I make and repair pocket knives. Three days ago a lady brought me a knife that was in severe need of repair. I would like to identify the maker. I suspect it is English or German. I has solid silver or german silver handles highly decorated and is 2 and 13/16ths inches long closed. Probably a gentleman's pocket knife. On the off mark side of the blade is hand engraved "R. H. C. December 15, 1863." So it is old. The maker's mark is stamped on the mark side not on the tang but on the blade. It is 3/8th of an inch long. It is a very small three lobed in line indentatation and it has the following in the bottom of each lobe.

lobe 1 A chicken
lobe 2 T & W {that middle symbol is an "and" sign}
lobe 3 an arm holding a hammer

It is very well made and I would like to be able to tell the lady what make it is. I have not been able to find anything to identify it in my books. I'm sorry I don't have the means to send a picture.

I'd appreciate any help with this you could give.

Cyrus
redeye

Re: Identitiy of a fine 19th century knife

Post by redeye »

is the blade made of silver too? i have seen some like that they are called fruit knives from what I have heard and seen.i wish you could get some pics
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
cyrus

Re: Identitiy of a fine 19th century knife

Post by cyrus »

Hi Redeye,

I believe the blade is of steel. It took a good edge. I too wish I could send a picture. The blade was not very wide, perhaps three eights of an inch at most. I have returned the piece to the customer. I would like to know what company made it because it was so unique a mark.