How do you organize your knives?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

How do you organize your knives?

Post by BennytheBlade »

I have more than a few now and am trying to come up w/ a good way to categorize my knives for display and/or storage.
I was wondering how everyone here does it... by country of origin (Italians/German/American/ etc) or by opening method (leverlocks/stillettos/OTF/ etc) or maybe even by scale material (blonde horn/bone/etc) or color.

I am thinking I will do them by how they open.
How do you guys do it?
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

BtB,

I do it by measuring the length and width of the pucture wounds made in cadavers that I store in the basement of my house. I then group the knives by dimensions of wound inflicted, including depth, and how much of a squishy sound they make upon insertion into and withdrawal from the cadaver. The last part, the sound, may strike the casual observer as excessively subjective, so I use a sound pressure level meter and an audio spectrum analyzer to get good measurement accuracy. After all this is done and the data are analyzed, I put them in the dresser drawers in my bedroom until a new set of cadavers arrive and I can begin testing once again. It's simple and fun for the whole family! 8)

Step into my laboratory,
Greyblade
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I use the severity of self inflicted [accidental] wounds. Winner so far the Catalana - 3 stitches. [Honorable mention, the Medici - to the bone, but no stitches].
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

well you guys are just messed up! :lol:

i do it the boring way i guess, smallest to largest from each country....
at least when i get off my ass to get them in cases, that's how i'll do it :wink:

like the new avatar mr benny!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Smallest to largest for Italians also same scale material. Old I keep in one drawer. Manual silver plugs same but in there own drawer. All misc in there own drawer. Thats why you guys should pick up a wooden machinist chest mine is a knock off of a Gertsner because I can't afford the real deal. But it is fully lined with green felt and holds my switches nicely in one spot. I also have the flat wood cases with the glass tops. 2 bottom drawers in my bureau are filled with fixed blades. another desk drawer is lined and filled with customs. I don't know how many I have in cases down my cellar. My den has all my swords hanging and the rest are leaning in the closet and on the bookcase shelves are all my antique fixed blades from other countries.My old military knives are(I think)in my sock drawer One drawer in the dining room is full of straight razors. and then without any BS every other drawer in the house from the living room to the family room has at least a few knives in them. I'm sure I have overlooked some places but at least I know they are in the house somewhere. But in case you think this is a lot keep in mind that this is years of collecting I just didn't pick these up overnight.
PB
BladeLover

Knife Organization

Post by BladeLover »

I recently picked up a couple of knife rolls from JDWholesale on the web that hold about 60 knives each, which are nice for sorting, arranging and storing various folders - mostly under 4". These have elastic to hold the knives in the roll and a felt-like material to keep them from scratching each other. For my autos (I'm a newbie, so only about a baker's dozen or so, so far) I bought a glass fronted hardwood case and arranged them pretty much by size, blade style and scale materials - 13" Krisses, horn, honey horn, rosewood, 11" daggers, stag, horn, 9" standards, briarwood, acrylic....etc. My medieval style daggers, etc. I have in a display on this coffee table. Big folders, folding fighters, misc. fixed blades, Bowies, swords, sword canes and assorted fighting knives are in locked toolboxes, trunks and scattered about my bedroom. Mostly chaos with a hint of organization here and there. Favorites reside in a large wooden cheap-assed Big Lots carved box from India on the night stand, next to my .44 special... 8)
Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

*note to self- stay away from grayblades house :wink:

If i did it on self inflicted wounds, the WS bali would win, pretty easily.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

I've only got about twenty-five so I don't have to worry about it just yet... they're in a couple of drawers for now..... perhaps this time next year.....

Best wishes
Teddy
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I've got three cabinets in my computer room where in one are my non-auto stiletto collectables, one has all kinds of autos,mainly clones. I think I have several of everything that has been on BA in the last three years and and in the last are my Italian stiletto switchblades. I can't believe how many I have bought in the three years I have been collecting. I sure am glad my beagle found his way home from his walk about the other day. I'm sure he will protect my investment.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I keep them in a display case [for the flea market] any that don't sell by the end of the season I have to worry about how to organize.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Grayblade, you're watching too much CSI!!
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

abe suarez wrote:Grayblade, you're watching too much CSI!!
abe,

You're probably right. My favorite opener for one of their episodes is he one where the find the dead body of a fashion model in a shopping cart in a seedy alley. They poke at it and talk about it, then there is a close-up shot of a rat crawling out of the body's mouth. Tres cool! Mr. Ratstuph must have gone wild when he saw that! Now that's entertainment!

Moe, Larry, the cheese!,
Greyblade
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Saw it?! Hell, that was me!!! I really get into my work.
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Ah, a star is born...
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

One Day,I'm Gonna Get Myself Organazised!You looking at me? :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!