Hone and Restore a Straight Razor

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

Hone and Restore a Straight Razor

Post by dark2023 »

I have an old Genco Master Barber straight razor that needs to be honed, sharpened, and overall restored. It's currently mounted in some kind of after market plastic scales, which are horrible. So it needs some new scales before anything else. But that I can do myself. I just need some one who knows a bit about razors to get rid of the rust/patina and re-hone the blade (and maybe strop it).

I figured, it's a longshot but someone here MIGHT have the equipment and know-how to do something like this. If so please post, or PM me.

I may even try to shave with it...someday.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Re: Hone and Restore a Straight Razor

Post by Viking45 »

Surprisingly some of the best straight razors had plastic handles. I guess because it's the best material that can take years of getting wet.

I'm sure there is someone here that can fix up your razor or at least recommend someone.

Here's a nice straight razor by Boker if you have a few extra dollars laying around :shock:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... o140500dam

Think I will stick with my 8 dollar Gillette 8)

Another nice one,I hate to think what this one costs.
http://www.darrelralph.com/assets/knive ... gsrI-4.jpg
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Surprisingly some of the best straight razors had plastic handles. I guess because it's the best material that can take years of getting wet.
Yes, but they were 2 piece of high quality plastic with pins holding them together. This how ever is a single piece of flimsy plastic with a cut in it for the razor to rest in.
I'm sure there is someone here that can fix up your razor or at least recommend someone.
I sure hope so
Here's a nice straight razor by Boker if you have a few extra dollars laying around :shock:
HOLY GOD :o , that razor cost a ton. Anyway, if I can get this one fixed It should serve me just fine.
Think I will stick with my 8 dollar Gillette 8)
Yes, but you'll have to keep buying new $8 Gillette razors when they each one gets old. A straight razor and strop are a one time charge.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Here's a great site that will answer all your questions. On-line how-to also available.
Lynn Abrams is the founder. Great person to deal with and an artist when it comes to razors.
Also have a pdf guide on honing and stropping somewhere on my putter. Will try and locate it an get it to you, if interested.
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Thanks, I made an account there and Im sure someone there WILL be able to help me. and, yes, the PDF would be helpful.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Here's the original link for the PDF file on the art of shaving by Christopher Moss.
If you don't have a good sharpening stone, I recommend a Norton 4K/8K combination water-stone.
This is a great guide for all straight razor shavers.

http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/Th ... -Shave.pdf
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6