Buck 110 Hunter Auto Conversion

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
larrycentaur

Buck 110 Hunter Auto Conversion

Post by larrycentaur »

Hi all.

I'm a fan of the Buck 110 Hunter and obviously the idea of having one in auto appeals greatly to me. :D I'm confident that when I get one it will be as good as they look, but does anyone have a bad opinion of them (I hope not!)? Please be brutally honest if you do. At the moment the Mivov Swordsman with black ABS scales is the favourite that I'm looking to compare it to. Also, I notice that there seem to be two types of conversions; one with a squar-ish button that seems to rock when you push the bottom corner, and one that has a circular button which I guess has a plunger action. Does anyone have any experience with both types of conversions?

Thanks,

Larry.
Viking45

Re: Buck 110 Hunter Auto Conversion

Post by Viking45 »

I have heard nothing but good reports on the Buck 110 conversions.
As for the Mikov Swordsman with the ABS scales- you can get one of those for a fraction of a Buck conversion.

I can vouch for the Mikov's- Awesome knives!
http://mikovknives.com/PriceList/pricelist.html

http://mikovknives.com/Images/700/241nh1c700.jpg
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I was thinkin of savin up for a 110 conversion but for that price i am thinkin i might just have to get the Mikov
larrycentaur

Post by larrycentaur »

I already have a couple of Mikovs including one with the black ABS scales - sorry I didn't explain the question properly - and I'm very happy with them both :D . I meant how does the Buck stack up to a Mikov quality wise? I have a Buck 110 manual knife and am very pleased with it's quality particularly the tight feel, which is why I want one in an auto conversion. Does the conversion take anything away from the quality of the Buck? For example is the lock-up/tightness affected at all? I'm sure that there is more than one company that does the conversions, and I don't know whether the squarish button is a better quality job or the round button one. Also, I've seen a round button conversion that has a hole drilled partially into the blade near the hinge pin that must work as a receiver for a plunger/pin (see this link: http://nicnac.net/media/110NSwalnut.jpg )

Does anyone have any thoughts on this type of conversion?

At this stage I'm leaning more towards the squarish button version.

Thanks,

Larry
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I only have experience with the the rocker style conversion on my Buck 110. Haven't had any problems with it. It is one of my favorites. I don't know who did the conversion. I've had it about four years. Was it worth the $135.00 I paid for it, Yes :D

dp68
To many knives is not enough!
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

as I recall there were some fake 110's at one time also, they may still be out there.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
larrycentaur

Post by larrycentaur »

Order placed for a genuine Buck 110 Hunter, oblong rocker style button. We'll have to wait to see how it goes.

Thanks for the input guys,

Larry