Boy scout no knife

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Milu

Boy scout no knife

Post by Milu »

When I was in primary school in London in the early sixties boy scouts often had meetings after school, they would often wear their uniforms to school. This would include a fixed blade knife that they wore on their belt (we are talking ten year olds). It was never a big deal.

Now this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nives.html

When I read news items like this I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I go back to the UK frequently, it's not the place I grew up and sadly I'm always happy when I'm leaving.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Boy scout no knife

Post by Vagrant »

:shock: :roll: :!:
We CAN expect this kind of CHANGE, here :idea:
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

So what are they supposed to do now?! Whittle with their fingernails?!!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:
redeye

Post by redeye »

that is sad. as a young scout we were taught the proper care and use and safety of knives and axes .you had to earn your "toten chip" which was a card you got for learning the stuff i mentioned. we would have knife sharpening demos at our meetings and if you were handing a knife or ax to another the recipient must say "thank you " to let the giver know that the receiver had control of the tool. i will always carry a knife till they unwrap my cold dead fingers from it,so will my kids and their kids.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

Disgusting!

Vagrant says it in a form of gospel, yet again.

WE NEEDED CHANGE! Boy are we getting it! :twisted:

We must remeber to speak with our local and governming officials otherwise we are simply cluttering up the internet with complaining instead of proactive behavior, such as fighting in the war against full goverment control.
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

This is timely, as on Monday one of the off duty NYPD officers who work for me in a shopping mall I run, asked for my advice in helping a person he had surrendering to him at court that day on a warrant. The man was a Boy Scout Leader, and had been arrested for having a folding knife on his belt while entering the subway. The officer saw the exposed carry of the knife on his belt ( illegal in NYC unless you are in construction, sporting use or a BOY SCOUT member), the folder apparently could be flicked open and there fore was deemed a "gravity knife" by the NYPD interpartation of the law. He was arrested for CPW ( criminal possession of a weapon) a class A misd, that could get you up to a year in jail. The man went to court, and was told his paperwork was not there and he would be "notified" when to return. That "notifcation" was to have the warrant squard bring him in as if he did not go to court. Fortunately, the officer that works for me is a correct thinking guy, who knew this was a BS charge, and called the man to meet him at court instead of knocking on his door at 3 am. The officer asked my opinion on the arrest ( I am a former Captain from a smaller NYC Agency and know the weapons laws very well). I printed out the law from the both the city and state laws and highlighted the part that clearly shows he was in the right to carry the knife as a Scout leader, and that the determination the knife was a gravity knife was then the fruit of an unlawful search and therefore the chargers should be dropped. It is hard to believe that our officers have come to make this type of BS arrest, but in NYC at least, this is a daily event....
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

My very first project when I was in Cub Scouts was sewing together a sheath for a folder...We were taught to respect weapons and to view them as tools rather than offensive items. To this day, I know of none of my fellow scouts who are in jail for mis-using any type of weapon. :o
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!