The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fashionable_man

Re: The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

Post by fashionable_man »

Crypto, but you're still opening it by holding the blade right, not the handle? I'm thinking of filing down some teeth.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

fashionable_man wrote:Crypto, but you're still opening it by holding the blade right, not the handle? I'm thinking of filing down some teeth.
I pinch it right behind the nail nick on the blade,
if you file down the notches I would just do the ones in the middle so it will still stay shut and lock open (I dont know how they can open them with a finger in the ring)
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

I cannot quite do it yet, I'll wait till later when the kids have gone to bed. Or I could file the ratchets off, should I use the "expensive" $10 one or the "cheap" $5 ebay china-ease copy (cold steel kudu) OR should I get another off Ebay?

Maybe I'll post a video ...

I'm kinda torn, the silly thing can be made VERY sharp, and seems to hold it, I wacked my finger open today cutting the seal on a brake fluid jar. Took very little effort.
:oops:
What knife?

79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

OK I gave in, I filed the ratchets down. I've almost got the thing to where it can be "flicked". I'll manage it a couple of times then as soon as someone is looking I can't do it... :oops: At some point I'll have it, I just don't know when... I do know if you hit the floor with it enough times, you can dull the tip.

Maybe I just need a Jerked Chicken dinner...

What kind of steel is this thing? you can easily file it, easily sharpen it, and It holds an edge, an amazingly sharp edge. Keep band-aids handy...
What knife?

fashionable_man

It's suppose to be carbon steel. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to file 'em down? A little hand file? A posted video would be awesome too! :)
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I tryed somthing else I took a 3 cornered file about 8" long and stuck the tail in the hole in front of the ring and used the file as a lever to hold back the spring and was able to throw open the blade holding the handle and squeesing the file
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

fashionable_man wrote:It's suppose to be carbon steel. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to file 'em down? A little hand file? A posted video would be awesome too! :)
I just used a small "smooth cut" file I had bought as part of a set from the MAC guy several years ago. I'll try a video (I'm new to this) as soon as I'm done making a fool out of myself in private. I think I need more filing at the moment...
What knife?

Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I pulled the pin on the saddle spring and flatend it out between the L and the saddle then I put the curve back in it a little at a time until it would flip open easier but still lock up solid(to put the curve back in it I opened up the vise and laid a rod along where the curve was and taped it back in untill the tension was just right) then I pinned it back together, it works great now and you can hear the notches ripppp when you flip it open,I'd still like to know how the Tobago guy and the Jamackin guy flip it :)
fashionable_man

Very cool Crypto!! I don't know if I'm that handy; I might have to try attacking it with the file instead. You should offer to sell some "customized" Okapis. I'd buy one!
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

you could flaten it a little bit at a time and keep trying it and bending it slightly with pliers and use a cut off nail as a pin to hold it and when your happy with the way it works peen the nail ,give it a try you dont have to worry too much about hurting a $10.00 knife it's very simply made and easy to take a part and put together
fashionable_man

Found another Okapi deal! A site called Wild Boar Blades. They have 'em for $10 a piece, cheaper than World Knives. I decided to call in my order, which the owner Ray graciously took despite the fact that he was in the middle of a gun show. He went from his room in the hotel down to his booth to get a form to process my order, while on his cell phone. Really nice guy, quite accommodating. I do recommend. Shipping within the US is $7, Canada is listed as $9.10 on the site, he said $9 on the phone. Ordered a pair to mess around with.

http://www.wildboarblades.com/
fashionable_man

A pic of Keith Richards showing off his ratchet knife

http://members.tripod.com/~Blue_Lena/knife2.jpg

I'm totally inept at posting pics within replies, so there's the link.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Hundreds of switches and assisted openers and we are on page FOUR of modifying a [cheap but good] knife into a fast opener. This is almost humerous :wink:
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
it is humorus ! but were just a bunch of big kids!
fashionable_man

I was just thinking the same thing :lol: I can't believe we're on page four. Although I think the majority of the posts are mine.