How do YOU test for blade sharpness?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Da bird is yo mamma. You Tell me how old she be. Missa Bigg be into da sheeps an da midgets las i be hearin' I be hiden' my dog from yous howdda like it.
Missaman in dahood
no sheeps o' pit bulls inda hood
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

missaman - i hate your avatar! :evil:

PS - they are called "little people" :wink: :lol:
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Vagrant wrote:Not if they're sleeping on their side.
ROFLMAO! :lol:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

missaman, what's this i hear about your affair with a scotty?
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr Bigg,
I tried to change my avatar but i could not upload the one i wanted. No matter I shall have shiney new green knife to display soon as its replacement :twisted:
Mr. Sammy,
Ya been talkin to Mr. Bigg? Howda hear about the Scotties there buddy.
I'll be sure to keep them indoors from now on i wouldn't want to tempt ya.
Maybe ya otta take a trip south of the border to see esmarelda and her donkey perv boy
Missaman
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

a donky, a scotty, a old bird, looks like missaman is the perv.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Maybe I should post those pics. of you an' Missa Bigg. at Tiny Tonys burro bar in tiajuna dare perv boy
Taken by a friend of mine of course :roll:
Some sheep little people were involved too from what I've heard :twisted:
MissaBigg was on top Looking for a bargain reach around
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

missa missaman, post those pics. i'd like to see em. don't recall a trip that far south.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Vagrant wrote:Custom maker Al Pendry has prouduced a steel called Wootz [which he believes is the original Damascus formula]. It has passed the silk scarf test, this is VERY impressive [and in most other cases simply untrue].
Just ran across this today and I thought I remembered you bringing this up.
Sounds pretty cool.

http://www.bladegallery.com/information ... mascus.asp
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

BennytheBlade wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Custom maker Al Pendry has prouduced a steel called Wootz [which he believes is the original Damascus formula]. It has passed the silk scarf test, this is VERY impressive [and in most other cases simply untrue].
Just ran across this today and I thought I remembered you bringing this up.
Sounds pretty cool.

http://www.bladegallery.com/information ... mascus.asp
The last line is the best;
" Al Pendray has recently rediscovered the methods of making Wootz Damascus. We will soon have an article on its rediscover."
I want to read the article when they have it!!
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

The company that makes the Razor Edge clamp system sells a neat little edge tester-if it passes the test on that little dingus, it's plenty sharp.
A good field test is to run the blade lightly over a fingernail, if it drags, it's sharp.
There is too sharp, a very fine scalpel edge is good for surgery, but will not hold up for everyday tasks.
The Razor Edge sharpening system is one of the best ever made, and the stones that come with the kit are the best you'll ever find.
I got mine when I was too young, insisted on using honing oil and spoiled them, but I mean to replace the whole kit this year.
I still have, and use the clamp, but I miss the stones-they are super efficient.
A sharpening secret, passed on to me by a great master of the art-put your forefinger on the spine of the blade, just ahead of the grip, then go ahead and sharpen.
This works nearly as well as a clamp, and is easier to carry along with you on hunting and camping trips!
Better yet, sharpen your knife with the Razor Edge clamp at home, and the resulting edge is very easy to maintain with that little finger guide-expedient.
A proper edge is easier to keep sharp than establish, so remember, sharpen, use, sharpen again(if at all practical) and your knife will never be dull, in fact it will get sharper!
Just be careful, especially with a knife with a good point-that is the most dangerous part of a blade, even though a very sharp edge can cause plenty of mischief, too.
Most dangerous of all is a dull knife, as one uses too much force, and then may lose control of the blade, and get a very bad cut indeed.
(Swords are the very worst hazards, especially the Samuri swords sold today, which are very sharp indeed, in the beter brands.
A sword was made to kill, and they do not forget their purpose, so watch them carefully, handle them gingerly, and be very sure you know where everybody else in the room is, when you handle a sharp one.
I know this to be true, by bitter experience.)
Life has no value, but death has it's price