Ghurka Kurkhi??

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Ghurka Kurkhi??

Post by hollowdweller »

Anybody own one? I had a cheapie when I was a kid, but just ordered one from Himalayan Imports that appears to be quality. Thought it would be a good brush clearer. Anybody own one? How hard are they to get a good edge on with that curved blade? What do you use?
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Hi Hollowdweller!

I own an Ang Khola, 20" with wood handle.
It's the most efficient brush (and tree!) cleaner I've had in my hands (except from maybe a chainsaw).
With it's weight between 3 and 4 pounds, it's quite a handful, but slices through wood as if it was butter.

I chopped down a thigh-thick tree in no time with it...!

For sharpening advise, click HERE.
But I've never used anything other then the chakma that came with the knife.
It's usually sufficient to burnish the edge, at least it has been enough for me to this point.
[the sweet spot of the blade can take a little while to get sharp again, due to it's increased hardness compared to the rest of the blade (they use "zone hardening" I believe). And of course, that's where the most wear will be.]

So tell us, what did you order?

Mr_G

Edited to add something.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I have heard they are excellent heavy work knives and in the right hands devastating weapons. It is one of the few knives that I don't own. For my outdoor chores I use an Ontario copy of the V-44 Carlson 's Raiders Marine Bowie with a 10'' blade that acts like the energizer bunny and just keeps cutting and cutting and touches up nice and easy with a flat stone. Its 1095 steel so its heavy in the carbon dept which makes the edge last so long. Let us know how you like the Gurka.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

(they use "zone hardening" I believe). {Usually called "differential tempering" in the U.S.}
Mr. Guano
You are almost understating how good these are, I used one for years for splitting kindling for a wood stove. One chop always did the job. Mine was a small "Officers model" and I'm sure a larger one would be even better.
Mine "vanished" and where I live now there's no wood stove so I haven't replaced it yet, but sooner or later I will. Great knives!
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Thanks Guano,

I ordered an 18" Ang Khola. Wood handle. Hey! Thanks guys for all the info. Sounds like I am going to enjoy it. Thanks for the link on sharpening.
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

hollowdweller wrote:I ordered an 18" Ang Khola. Wood handle. Hey! Thanks guys for all the info. Sounds like I am going to enjoy it.
18" AK is what I wanted originally, but then I stumbled across this 20" for sale here in knife deprived Norway...
Since I bought mine used, I don't know how they are from the 'factory' (shed).
The wood handle on mine had a small crack in it that I superglued together. I also oiled the handle, and the strangest thing happened; The red-ish color went away and was replaced by wood color (don't know if the red color was on originally, or if it just was a result of previous owner using bad oil... anyone got input?)

The wood also seemed to have dried up a bit and twisted... very weird, and it made the endpiece turn a little compared to the blade.
None of this affects performance, so I'm happy as can be!

My prediction is that you'll have great fun with this knife!
Brush clearing was never so fun before :D

When you get it, I would be glad if you could tell me which kami (maker) made it.
Mine is made by Kumar Bishwakarma. (You'll find the kamis marks HERE, just scroll down.)

Mr_G
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Got the Gurkha today. Whoa. This is one heavy bas-ard!! The blade has got to be close to a quarter inch thick at the back! Seems rock solid and wicked looking(but functional) Really cool.
I haven't chopped anything with it yet, but may give it a try this weekend. :twisted: :twisted: Kind of feel like Kali when I hold it up!

Mr. Guano,

There are a couple unreadable marks and then a trident with K.S above it. King Shiva? Knife Shop? Is Martin making these things :wink: Anyway real neat. Probably buy another eventually.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Went down to the little knifeshop at our local flea market and got a steel and a crock stick and got the Ang Khola nice and sharp and chopped and limbed a maybe 5" tree in no time. Mr Guano, I see what you mean about the hard place on the blade. I really had to work to get that sharp. The steel was so much harder in that 3 inch section. Vagrant, tried splitting some wood too. Fun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I liked the Ang Khola so much I bought a 15" BAS for hiking. It is great too. A little lighter and more adaptable to machete work as well as chopping.
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Yeah, I've heard good things about the BAS.
I guess the design has been thoroughly tested over many many years... :)
One of my buddies got an actual BAS from a Ghurka soldier when serving in Lebanon, but it's not HI-made. The quality seems OK, though. It looked nice, and had been used by the Ghurka for years.

If I should place an order at HI today, I probably would go for the UBE (Uncle Bill Especial). I think it looks cool, kind of a mix between a bowie and a khukuri!

Take care,
Mr_G
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I'd like to have an M43 or Ganga Ram Special
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For light to medium brush I use a Collins Machete. Heavy stuff gets a tomahawk until i find my Kukri.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mine is marked N.K.H. i got it from Mr. Gonzo. This knife is great, nothing stops it. My machetes are in the recycle bin 8) Ive been tempted to learn how to throw it but i don't want to damage it... :twisted:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

As a result of a trade for a Hubie I now have a 15" Ang Khola. Much nicer than the "Officers Model" [Indian contract] I used to have. On a good trade both parties think they did great On a great trade they're both right.
I sure both of us are very pleased with this trade.
ArchAngel

Post by ArchAngel »

I own around 20 or so khukuris. 14 of those are from Himalayan Imports. They do make a great khuk! :D The wonderful thing is that since there are so many varied models, there is a khuk for virtually every need. :wink: