Water stains (rust?)

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
prober996

Water stains (rust?)

Post by prober996 »

A number of years ago I bought a kitchen knife for my mother from a custom maker named Parkinson. I just reacquired the knife from her as she is no longer able to cook. The knife blade is very stained. Any advice on bringing it back, or has that ship sailed?
IMG_6992.JPEG
IMG_6992.JPEG (828.49 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
IMG_6994.JPEG
IMG_6994.JPEG (831.65 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Twobit

Re: Water stains (rust?)

Post by Twobit »

Prober, you can remove the rust and stains with Scotch Brite to get it to a usable condition. If you're looking to try and return it to something resembling the original finish, a good metal polishing paste rubbed in with a rag, some elbow grease, and some patience could do the trick. Or, if you have access to a bench grinder with a polishing wheel , it would do the job more quickly.
prober996

Post by prober996 »

Thanks Twobit. I'll try the polishing paste + elbow grease route this weekend and report back.
boots

Post by boots »

Be careful with abrasive pads, a little descaler such as CLR mixed 50 50 with water will take care of any deposits and rust.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

I always forget about CLR. Good stuff.