Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
PetterJhon

Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

Post by PetterJhon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 am

Hello everyone,,
I've heard the adage, "Take what you would spend on a set of kitchen knives, then spend that amount on one good kitchen knife."

That being said, I have no idea what to look for and googling around seems like I only find the most popular brands, not necessarily the best knife. I also have no idea how much a good knife can cost, although in some shops I've seen knives upwards of $1000USD. My budget isn't nearly that high, around $200USD.

Can anyone recommend a good, single knife? Or perhaps a website / store where I could find one?

PS - First time posting here, so if this is outside the rules of the sub or not in keeping with the theme I apologize!

whippersnapper

Re: Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

Post by whippersnapper » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:16 pm

For a basic chefs knife that won't break the bank I recommend Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" or 10" Chef's Knife. I own a couple and like them.
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibro ... 7486&psc=1

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

Post by natcherly » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm

We have some German made J. A. Henckels knives we like a lot. The 10" chefs knife especially. We also have a couple of carbon steel models, a skinner and boning knife. Got these from my grandmother when she passed. These must be over 100 years old at this point but perform beautifully.

J. A. Henckels have an "International" line made in, you guessed it, China. Don't know anything about those, but they are a lot cheaper in cost. Quality I cannot opine.