Gerber Paraframe I any good?

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
YourNoob

Gerber Paraframe I any good?

Post by YourNoob »

Hey im planning on getting the gerber paraframe, yet i cant get any reviews on it so im wondering:

-Does it open well?
-What kind of lock is it?
-Is it an assisted opening?
-If not assisted opening, does it have a fast opener?
Noob Balisong-er
dogngun

Re: Gerber Paraframe I any good?

Post by dogngun »

I got the large one several years ago, dno't know if they make the size anymore, LOA about 8.5".
I got it home before I realized it was made in China. Not assisted opening.
Mine was very difficult to open single handed, stiff and very tight. Cleaned the joint with dental floss, lubed it with hi-timp lithium grease, and used periodically it for 3 years or so, still not easy to open - the thumb stud is just a little in the wrong place, the angle to open one handed is hard to reach. The knife is fairly heavy.
The knives are liner locks, blade is solid in the frame and locks tight. Will take a pretty good edge, and the knife is tough but not the sharpest.
I had a Gerber fixed blade knife, Mark I, in the 1970's (Army) and I expected a good quality, well designed knife from Gerber. I feel let down with this one.
I still have the knife, and I'm still not very happy with it.
If you can handle one, your reaction might be completely different, but it just feels wrong to me. I recommend you try to do this - it may be just what you want.
(FWIW, I have some very good knives made in China-this one just doesn't make it for me.)
Mark
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Gerber made good knives for years and now they are all trash. I have old Gerbers from the 80s and 90s, and about five new ones that are all AOs and all trash...
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Kinda like mine...now. Yes made in China,true, big bummer. But for a beater it aint bad. Took like 2 weeks though to get it loose enough to thumb flick. Had to apply oil and work the sucker every evening with 2 hands, but not quite to full open...just work the blade thru its arc. Its a frame lock. Mine takes a good edge too. Mostly use it to cut strapping and tape at work and splinter diggin. Kinda wish I had one as a kid instead of that 2 lb Buck 110 I carried that wanted to bite my fingers when I closed it. :)