What is your finish preference in stag scales???

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sonnyboy

What is your finish preference in stag scales???

Post by sonnyboy »

Kind of a clumsy way to state it, but...

I am not a "knife collector"...I don't have a theme, so my little bunch of knives just reflects what I think is attractive looking (to my way of thinking) to me...

[For example, that Sunfish/Elephant's Toenail]

So here's my question...I just got this little whittler in today, from eBay [no other bids; I got it for Opening Bid], it's "Sambar Stag" and I think it is quite attractive, the way the Sambar scales have been sanded to fit the handle...I also like the way the bolsters have been designed & executed, uneven lengths etc....

But if I didn't know it was Sambar scales, I wouldn't have guessed...because most cutlers leave the outer layer of antler on...The epidermis or whatever it is called...

Now this is kind of important to me, because Buck will be doing a 110 w/Sambar Stag scales later this year for a special order, and I'm looking to place my order...

But I *like* the sanded Sambar more than I do the "raw" antler treatment...

Now I don't know shinola about Stag, so maybe Sambar is the only stag that actually sands down whitish-colored...but I wouldn't like a knife with brown or beige sanded scales...

And I'd have to think hard if I wanted a Buck 110 with "raw" stag scales...

What's your opinions on this???
Six of one...
Half a dozen of the other...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I always call the rough outer layer "bark". I prefer it to sanded and polished Stag since that makes it look like bone. If really well done it can be polished to a very high polish but you still have to tell people what it is :? Left natural it does not look like anything else :idea: