Buck 110's at Wal-Mart

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sonnyboy

Buck 110's at Wal-Mart

Post by sonnyboy »

Following a post on another Forum (somewhat pessimistically), I was surprised...no, *astounded*...to see brass-bolster Buck 110's at the local WallyWorld for $30!!!... :shock:

(They also have the Buck "Prince" for $29.95)...

Wow...There are guys on eBay asking more than that for ground-down, dented/chipped, dinged-up 110's... :roll:

I was also surprised and somewhat annoyed to see how many counterfeit/Chinese [choose one] "Buck 110" knives were being advertised on eBay as real Bucks... :(
Six of one...
Half a dozen of the other...
Diggaway

Post by Diggaway »

I smell a project :D
Do it sonnyboy, you have already justified it (pricewise) and from the 110 thread have obviously done your homework. Even if only a "someday" thing :twisted:
Do it
Diggaway
Sempere ubi sub ubi
butch

Post by butch »

my local kmart has been selling them for $29.95 for years.
sonnyboy

Post by sonnyboy »

K-Mart too??? :roll:

The local sporting goods shops are still asking $59...No, I didn't buy one... :)

...I bought an $11.50 eBay junker!!! :lol:

No, I don't plan on making an auto...too much work...but a drop-point Buck 110...That I think I can manage...

Whenever baseball season ends and I finish all my other projects... :wink:
Six of one...
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

I was looking into getting one and seeing if I couldn't do the button fired coil spring conversion, but I have enough projects on the shelf. My other thought is to take a Timberline Locking Liner and convert it. I thought maybe a leaf spring and a release mechanism similar to the Benchmade Benchmite might work. The knife itself is incredibly thin, so that rules coil springs and button locks. But I figure if I cut the liner just right, and added a button that would extend through the scales, it just might work.
McG
sonnyboy

Post by sonnyboy »

Hmmmm...Now I'm reading old archived threads at BladeForums.com/Buck and I see that Buck markets a "low-end" line of knives made in China and distributed by Home Depot and like stores...

I didn't look at the tang on the 110's at Wally World...are they the Chinese or the USA Bucks??? :? Or maybe the K-Mart ones???
Six of one...
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

Now that you mention it, WalMart recently sent their entire stock of Schrade knives back to the company over an outsourcing ( Shrade's refusal to do so) issue. It put the company under. So I would imagine that Buck does outsource for certain products destined to certain retailers.
McG
butch

Post by butch »

mine came from kmart and says made in the usa my 110 that is,I havent seen any bucks stamped china yet and I hope I dont.
Theyre the last company Id want to see give in to china for cheaper production.
:(
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

A while back I read somewhere that some knife manufacturers are posting made in the USA on the packaging, and it refers to the packaging, not the product. Perhaps Buck could be making the blades here and having them assembled in China???? I don't know.
McG
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

I like Buck knives. Timeless classics of good construction.

With Schrade, I never heard that Walmart story before but to me, it sounds like a conspiracy. People make up alot of shit about walmart. The Waltons probably deserve it but thats beside the point.

Last time i looked at Walmart's knives, they still had Schrade stock. Honestly, I think that company sunk themselves with lackluster designs. Handles much bigger than blades, awkward designs, poor choices of materials, and sometimes a lousy fit and finish.

Back to Buck...
Those i've purchased at Walmart are identical to any other Bucks sold elsewhere. Stamps, sheaths, packaging, etc..

Now as for MADE IN USA...
All you have to do, in order to legally claim "made in usa" is one portion of assembly, or so i'm told. So Buck could make all parts in China, and even have them partially assembled there... as long as it comes back here for "finishing" it becomes "American".

I don't know what Buck does. But get used to this and expect ALL companies to manufacture outside of the USA. We're DAMN close to this being the case already.