Puma Prince - 1973, Need INFO

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Al

Puma Prince - 1973, Need INFO

Post by Al »

Hello all. I recently acquired a Prince, and am trying to determine if it has the original blade. The knife is a 1973 (73373) and is in overall very nice condition. The blade is etched with gold etching and says:

210 910 HANDMADE
PUMA PRINCE
GERMANY STAINLESS

It has the PUMA logo to the left of this etching.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Al
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Is there any reason to think it is not original? [I made a blade for a friends Puma once when he broke the original. No attempt was made to make it look anything like the original]. It would take lots of time, trouble, and expense to replace the blade and make it look original, I doubt it would be worth the effort on a production knife.
Al

Post by Al »

The wording on the blade matches the current style. Other knives I have seen from the 70's say "NEW SUPER KEEN CUTTING STEEL". The blade is definately PUMA. If it was replaced, it was almost certainly done at the factory. There is no evidence that the knife was worked on, it's just that in my limited experience with PUMAs, this seems like a newer blade.

There is no other reason to suspect it is not original.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My "White Hunter" from the 70s reads "New Stainless Super Keen Cutting Steel" SOMEWHERE I have a "Rambler" from the 80s when/if I find it I'll see what it says.
Al

Post by Al »

Thank you.