I need help and quickly from all you experts!!!!

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
daykinjones

I need help and quickly from all you experts!!!!

Post by daykinjones »

I have been entrusted to buy a leaving present for a colleague. He is moving to Australia and working for the remote teaching service in NW OZ.
he would like a knife as he will be in obviously a remote area. I could buy him a Swiss army knife but feel something a little special is in order. This forum is full of experts, how about some advice?

He's looking for somwthing 6-8 inches long, what could or should I buy

Thanks in anticipation
Cambo

Post by Cambo »

A US Marine style field/tactical/survival knife is great. Funtional and strong. Try one like this:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Knock loud, I'm sleeping in back.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Mr. DK Jones,
I would suggest a knife from the Cold Steel company. Perhaps the SRK model. I find no fault with the Cold Steel Company or their products. They are 100% customer service oriented.
All the best,
Sam Hotton
Marvinsson

Post by Marvinsson »

For the money and ruggedness, you really can't beat Cold Steel, IMHO. I'll second the SRK, and suggest you take a look at the Recon Tanto, Trailmaster, and Recon Scout as well. He should be well served by any of these, and if you look around on-line, they can be had for quite a bit less that the Cold Steel site lists them for.
Marvinsson
Marvinsson

Post by Marvinsson »

Here they are. If you like folders, the M-21 from Columbia River is bullet proof. I read that it's the number one folder as rated by the boys in Iraq. I have one and love it!

Marvinsson
Marvinsson

Post by Marvinsson »

Here's the M-21.

Marvinsson
warrigal

Post by warrigal »

G'day fellas, I live in Eastern Austraila and I would suggest that the majority of people that live "outback" if they carry a knife, it will be a oldtimer stockman or variant. If your mate is going somewhere remote he may well be better served with a bigger Swiss army or multitool for running repairs, no service man down the road. I love my knives (or else why would I be here?) But a bigger knife Eg. CS srk will get little use. Basic rules for that part of the world carry plenty of water in the car, don't take "interesting" detours, any probs stay with the car and if he is up north don't swim at just any water hole check with the locals (crocs) every year tourist ignore these rule and die. It is far to easy to make it on the news in that part of the world.
Carl
a bad days hunt is still anice walk in th bush
Pirat

Cold Steel, SOG

Post by Pirat »

Try Cold Steel for folders or
SOG for fixed

check here
http://www.knifecore.com
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Always value the opinion of the man who lives there the most. The closest I've been to Australia is California. I do know parts of Australia are very dry if your friend is going to be in these regions a carbon steel knife is as good as or better than stainless. Cold Steel has the Country Classic line[folders] in several styles, all in carbon steel. Their Master Hunter [fixed blade] is available in carbon steel or AUS8A stainless. The Cold Steel Voyager series [AUS8A] are available in a good variety of plain or serrated, Clip or Tanto, with 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch blade lengths.
http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-m ... unter.html
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

for what it's worth... I like CRKT (Columbia River) fixed blade knives quite a bit. They're pretty rugged and affordable.

For something a little more serious, I'd probably look towards Becker. Again, good stuff for the money.

Camillus also has some nice stuff in their line.
I can't find anything wrong with a good old Kabar neither.
Cold Steel and/or SOG is nice too, but shop around, way overpriced alot of places.

As you can see, my inability to make a clear cut choice, is the reason why I have so many friggin' knives. :lol:
And beware especially of autos, once they pop, you really can't stop.