Ontario Knife Company "Marine Raider" Bowie knife

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Ontario Knife Company "Marine Raider" Bowie knife

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have been looking these over as an alternative to the Smatchet. It seems that the .25" spine of the 1095 Carbon Steel Blade is substantial and lends itself well to camp chores and other heavy work.

Does anyone own one? If so, What is your opinion of their quality for the price paid?
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Ontario Knife Company "Marine Raider" Bowie knife

They have moved to a 1075 High Carbon Steel to avoid chipping under heavy use. The Ontario Knife Company Metallurgist explained it in great detail on Blade Forums. This should be a knife that is well worth having.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Ontario Knife Company "Marine Raider" Bowie knife

My Ontario Knife Company Marine Raider Bowie arrived at 3:38 this afternoon. I am impressed with this knife! (Even the sheath is good looking). I put the knife to my Lansky honing steel and the 1075 High Carbon took a quick edge. I expect good performance from the 9.75" clip-point blade and It is a knife that Jim Bowie himself probably would have liked. The powder coated blade should resist rust (I see no sense in removing it).

I'll let you know how well this knife works with both use and the passing of time.
Fishtail Picklock