Heavy frame Mikovs

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

Heavy frame Mikovs

Post by The Tourist »

I'm interested in buying a heavy frame Mikov for my personal use. As most of you know by now, I'm going to "use" it.

And as you can guess, that means outdoors, in the wind and the rain, on my bike and slicing dinner. Let's take a moment to pity that knife in silent prayer.

I do like the utility style, but that's just me.

Do any of you own/use a heavier frame model? How's it doing? What do you use it for?

Thanks, guys.
eastcoastsniper

Re: Heavy frame Mikovs

Post by eastcoastsniper »

I really don't want to start another debate here, But, you've made several references in this post and in the past about using your EDC for carving dinner. There is no way I would ever use my EDC to slice my food! Maybe that's because I actually use my EDC, but, when I eat dinner, I want clean utensils.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Anybody knows Hubertus makes some great knives for EDC. Many people will recommend a leverlock if you ask them. Hubertus makes alot of multis for camping/hunting. :D
I don't use them because they are valuable to me. I use the bone Mikov to cut anything reasonable (boxes, tape, paper, plastic, rubber, PVC etc...)
Believe me if I was any worse with it I know it can reem the hundreds and hundreds of feet of type K, L, M copper pipe for me while I'm brazing commercial buildings and medical pipes at a fast pace but I won't put it through that even though it can perform.
For camping a Hubertus leverlock multi isn't a bad idea. The cost isn't exactly cheap either. :idea:
An example:
Leverlock switchblades
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

eastcoastsniper wrote:your EDC for carving dinner. There is no way I would ever use my EDC to slice my food!
LOL. I can understand the idea. You raise a good point.

I must add that I spent a few years as the purchasing agent for Madison Family Dental Association when the era of "barrier protection" hit the industry like a hammer. I clean all of my stuff.

Like most guys that travel light, I carry a few "wet naps" in foil packets, clean rags for my bike, a collapisble toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste.

I look at it this way. You should never assume that just because a restaurant puts utensils down in front of you that they have cleaned them as painstakingly as you would. Yes, I have also been a busboy and seen kitchens...

Along with knives, I've also thought about buying one of those fork and spoon packs you can buy from The KnifeCenter, and carry those along, as well. When the "Taste of Madison" sets up at my bike shop, I bring a metal fork from home. I hate eating with plastic.