keep hunting buck's clean

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stiletto of athens

keep hunting buck's clean

Post by stiletto of athens »

hi my friends i have one buck 102 and one 110FG and i just wonter if i keep it inside a box away from dust,sunlight and humitity with regular cleaning oiling the pivot pins and the blades at the knives it would be a problem???any problem???i say that coz i hear that if you dont use the knives for long periods its not good to keep it inside ther sheaths cose they starting rusting the blades.
should i belive that or in this case and contitions like mine this it never be hapen???????????????????????
the knives i have it on my collection and never for using.
*****CLICK*****
79spitfire

Re: keep hunting buck's clean

Post by 79spitfire »

For me the brass tarnishes if I keep them in or near their leather, so I store the cases in a plastic shoeboxes away from the knives. I don't think the stainless blades would rust, but if you have any high carbon or "cutlery steel" knives they could suffer.
What knife?

stiletto of athens

really??s...t you know what i have done here???i have take 2 of 110FG bucks and the 102 so i store it on the place that alredy tell you with verry meintenance and oiling the working parts and the blades from time to time inside the box i have put an envelope with siligel to keep away the humitity but now i am afraid to no turnishing the blades handles so i put away their sheaths from now on.
if i do that the edge of 102 will stay sharp ass now or no???
i tell you again that those knives i have it only for my collection and i do not use any of these for any propose.
*****CLICK*****
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Your Bucks should have stainless blades. I've noticed mine can seem to loose their edges when stored, but if you use them only for display then a razor edge is not as important. I clean and oil the pivots regularly, about once a year, but you seem to keep more careful care of yours. They may stay sharper.
What knife?

turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I have a Buck 112 that I've stored in its sheath for about 30 years. I recently dug it out of a box where it sat untouched for probably 20 years and other than tarnished bolsters (like Spitfire mentioned) it looks just like it did the day I got it. And the tarnish cleans up real quick and easy.
stiletto of athens

30years?thats amazing i thing...
i have it a few months and the edges its like new shaving easly i care it a lot so i hope never lose the sharpnes.
no tarnish at all on those knives.BUT... i have one 110 again but that i have for use and everyday carry i have it on a seath and from time to time tarnish litle then i take a piece of coton with some drops of lemon and food salt and i clean it out nice and easy and is like new...
*****CLICK*****
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I take it back. I spoke too soon. After typing the above post, I got out my Buck and closely examined it under a bright light and I DO see 3 spots of almost microscopic pitting right on the leading edge and some slight discoloration on the underside of the tang. But it does look really good considering the lack of attention it received all those years. And it's still sharp (I sliced my finger through the rag I was using to oil the blade). I guess the knife was paying me back for the years of neglect.

I also checked the Buck website, and they say not to store the knife in the sheath.

I guess the moral of the story is: Don't forget about your knives and keep them cleaned and oiled.
stiletto of athens

mr turbo dog your knife after all those years i thing is really perfect working contition always out of the seathsregular sharpening on wetston,washita,honing oilstone, away from humitity and oiled specialy working parts and blades ithing these tips it will do your knife to survive for life.

p.s
3 spots of easly removing rust or disclor its NOTHING for 30 years really.
*****CLICK*****
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

One thing of note, proves the value of the Buck branded knives. I have no doubt that many, more expensive knives, would be in horrible shape, requiring restorations, not just "a little cleaning up"

:mrgreen:
What knife?

stiletto of athens

thats right man...i rememper one time i was having a buck 112 and was going for hunding and survival activities into the forests for a month with my friends and when i was come back i forget to clean my buck and left it somewere in the wouse until the day i find it again *after 4 months or someth* and i just oil the working parts of the knive,cleaning the blade and it was like NEW the tip was great,the sharpnes it steel shaving,no side to side play AT ALL,all working parts and the safety was just perfect.

:P :P :!:
*****CLICK*****
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

A blade that is "stainless" is not 'stain free.' Given the right kind of conditions, stainless steel will rust.

For example, some LEOs who remove their grips from their stainless SW 66s will often find rust under the grips. Their palms are sweaty, enough years go by...

Your best chance to avoid corrosion--and I mean if it's your main concern (like living near the ocean)--is to buy an alloy with a lots of chrome. Alloys like all of the 440s and ZDP-189 have 20% chromium. A steel like D2 has about 11% chromium.

The best course is to keep a blade clean and dry. And storing a knife in a sheath risks the chance that humidity can get trapped under the leather or exposed to some tanning chemicals, admittedly less of risk with modern processess.

I recommend a Sentry Solution product called "Marine Tuff-Cloth." When a SEAL swims in salt water with a carbon steel blade and still has no rust issues...