Looking for info on a Cattaraugus folding knife

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mikechris

Looking for info on a Cattaraugus folding knife

Post by mikechris »

Hello all,
Just trying to get some info on this knife. It is stamped "CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY CO. LITTLE VALLY" on the blade, and "PATENTED JULY 2, 1906" on the brass lock thing.
thanks,
mikechris
Attachments
000_0013.jpg
000_0013.jpg (148.24 KiB) Viewed 17717 times
000_0012.jpg
000_0012.jpg (153.21 KiB) Viewed 17720 times
000_0009_1.jpg
000_0009_1.jpg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 17720 times
jim d,

Re: Looking for info on a Cattaraugus folding knife

Post by jim d, »

mikechris,

Try posting this in Bill DeShivs section.

Jim
RJS1966

Post by RJS1966 »

Cattaraugus knife company was a small turn of the century knife shop. It was located in SouthWestern New York. I vaguely remember hearing about this company as a youth. I have lived in Cattaraugus County all of my life. I have never seen a knife from there. The county seat is Little Valley. I believe there is a County historian so.. Perhaps a quick google search could turn something up. Hope this helps.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

All I can add to this is the fact the Cattaraugus knife company along with many others such as Ulster,Schatt & Morgan,Case,Colonial,Imperial,Camillus,Schrade and many others made high quality knives and as you mentioned the "patent" on the brass liner acting as a safety was later copied and later,more modern knife makers took the glory.
The "liner lock" is almost as old as dirt but some folk took credit and even went as far as to put their name on it....Walker Lock for example.
Walker is an exquisite knife maker and well respected in the custom knife world but the liner lock was well beyond his days but as they say- You snooze you lose.

I suppose they(makers of the past) failed to get the actual patent so he capitalized on it.

Great knife by the way.
(and yes I know this is an old post)
Romellio

Post by Romellio »

I've heard about this knife and i can say this is really good knife,, but i didn't know some part of this knife i can assure that this knife was really good.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a link about Cattaraugus Cutlery's final demise that may interest you.
http://www.jbfchamplin.com/?p=964
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Hey, fellas!

This post is almost EIGHT-YEARS-OLDE!
:roll:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?