Best choice for first handgun?

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fulci lives

Best choice for first handgun?

Post by fulci lives »

Im thinking about buying a handgun hopefully in the near future. I was wondering what the best choice would be for a target shooter. Something just to take out on the range. I want something simple that wont take alot of maintnence. A good gun to learn the ins and outs with. I really like the look and feel of .38 snubnose revolvers. Would that make a nice starter piece or would it be better to get something smaller like a Ruger Mark 3. I would also like it to be under $500.

Any insight would be apreciated
Thanx!
Russ
Fight war not wars!
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

I would recommend a Ruger .22 Cal Revolver for the learning phase and for simplicity. I reckon that the real fun lies in an Israili Arms Desert Eagle .44 Magnum for later on though :lol: .
'Such is Life'
Mick
butch

Post by butch »

my first and only hand gun at the moment is a .40 caliber semi auto,the recoil isnt bad at all and its very accurate,I only pay $10 for a box of 50 rounds for it too so its an affordable target gun,but if youre looking for just a plinker a 22. will do fine.this is my .40 caliber it was $150 new

Milu

Post by Milu »

I would start with a good quality 22 semi auto. When you feel you've outgrown it (in reality we never outgrow good 22 pistols or rifles) I would look for either a 357 revolver or a 9mm or bigger semi auto.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
butch

Post by butch »

good advice milu,I bought the .40 for personal protection after an incident that happened on my street but Im in the market for a .357 or .44 mag revolver for target and hunting,I have 4 .22 caliber rifles and youre right.....you "never" out grow them theyre great plinkers...lots of fun.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr fulci,

A "snubby" is not a target pistol!

Are you looking for a revolver or an auto?
Either way, I can't see how you could go wrong with a Ruger .22 - Good quality at a decent price.

I would start with a revolver for simplicity and easy maintenance...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I agree with the Ruger guys... A single six wih a extra .22 mag cylinder if you like that style, or a Ruger Mark III if you like an auto. 7-10 bucks for 500 rounds of cheap ammo, and a ton of reliable fun! 8)

After that, buy something bigger if you like.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The options are almost endlesss :wink: But, starting with a .22 makes a lot of sense. Semi-auto or revolver ? Whichever feels best to you. A full size makes more sense than a pocket pistol, unless you plan to carry a lot and shoot only a little [and at close range]. Best choices ?
Semi-auto - Ruger, Browning, S&W.
Double action revolver - Taurus, S&W
Single action revolver - Ruger
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

If your looking for a Semi-auto 22, go with the Browning Buckmark. My dad has two, and his 6" target model is literally a tack driver. I personally stay away from Ruger, but purely on principle.
McG
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Fulci,

I'm the kinda guy who hates to pussyfoot around. Get a nice .44 mag revolver and jump right into things with both feet. Most everything will be easier after that.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
butch

Post by butch »

thats how I started with a .357 magnum when I was 15 years old ,it was a shock at first but everything afterward seemed like a toy.
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

I don't recommend starting off on a heavier caliber as it can form bad habits. To see if you have formed the main bad habit have a gun savvy friend load for you and place a spent cartridge or two into the chamber/Mag somewhere. If when the hammer falls on that spent case and you have pushed/pulled/twisted the firearm, you will know you need to lose a bad habit. Keep doing this little exercise until you can hit that spent case and not budge off the target.
Carry out your I.A (Immediate Action) drill to get past the stoppage and continue firing. :)
'Such is Life'
Mick
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

McGyver wrote:If your looking for a Semi-auto 22, go with the Browning Buckmark. My dad has two, and his 6" target model is literally a tack driver. I personally stay away from Ruger, but purely on principle.
My first pistol was a Buckmark camper and I think it is a perfect starter also. Great gun to shoot and the wives or girlfriends will have a good time too.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Colt Woodsman would be a great choice BUT, they haven't made it since the mid 70s :(
Most of the Brownings are very similar since John Browning designed the Woodsman around 1915 :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I don't recommed a pocket pistol for target shooting or a first gun but with a good rest, on a good day, I've rolled tin cans at 50 meters with this S&W 2213 8)