AK47

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

AK47

Post by missaman »

Hi Missa Vargant,
I always thought of these as inexpensive. I took a hankering to purchase one and went to my local gun store. They had about 20 or so on display all in the 400+ to 500+ range :shock: I could get a ruger mini14 in .223 for 600.00 what is the deal with the prices? Or have they always been this high? I saw SKS's sold at a local gun show for under 100.00
A few years back.
Thanks Missa
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Before the [now expired] Assault weapons ban, AKs were much cheaper.
However thet was over 10 years ago and everything else has risen about the same, or more. Also [depending on LOTS of silly rules and variables, x% of the parts must now be made domestically, which also adds to the price. The SKS is best described as "The poor man's AK". It is not quite as "good" but it is still excellent The SKS is usually more accurate.
The AK and SKS both shoot the 7.62x39 and are much better for anything bigger then woodchucks :idea:
The use of the .223 in a combat rifle is inexcusable :!:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks,
Missa Vagrant.
I own a few Rugers and I must say the the workmanship is 100%
Iffin I was to find somebody inna da crib afta dark my first choice would be my colt 1911 or my sp101. what is your first choice for an " assault weapon"
I agree the .223 is a poor choice for a combat cartrage. hell not even legal to hunt with one in my state. Maybe a fnl?
While at the gun shop I saw a 4 inch barrel .500 anti bear gun for sale :wink:
Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My first choice for indoor defense [with a handgun] is anything .38/9mm or larger that you can shoot quickly and accurately :idea: But, a 12 gauge loaded with #9 shot is ideal. There is little chance of over-penetration endangering family members and the impact on an intended target [at under 21' range] is AWESOME :!: Even the vast majority of outdoor incidents occur at less than 21' and few indoor ones exceed 10' :idea:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Let me chime in with my thoughts. I love the .223, very accurate and surplus ammo is cheap. Since I don't do any combat, its perfromance in that arena is irrelevant to me. Also, for about the price of the Mini 14 you can get a Remington Model 700 BDL, a fine looking and shooting rifle. To me, AK 47's and Mini 14's are butt ugly.

Jim (the opinionated)
missaman

Post by missaman »

Hi Jim And Vagrant...
I will be taking kid 2 for her first visit to the gun range this weekend.
Bolt action .22 to start and as wif' kid one I would rather have a daughter who CAN shoot than one who cannot :twisted:
I will post a pic of her target :wink:
Missa
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

This is my first choice of home defence. It' a Russian made Saga semi-auto
410. I have taken off the plastic and put my own wood on. I have a ten shot clip for it loaded with 3" 00buck

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Here's another favorite of mine and for $170.00 you can't go wrong. It's a Hi-point 9mm semi-auto, american made, working mans gun. I think it's only about 26 - 28" long.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Saiga is an awesome "prowler fouler" but mnie doesn't have the fancy wood-work" you did :wink:
My 10 rd mag. looks like this :?
butch

Post by butch »

nice toys guys! 8)
Claudester

Re: AK47

Post by Claudester »

missaman wrote:Hi Missa Vargant,
I always thought of these as inexpensive. I took a hankering to purchase one and went to my local gun store. They had about 20 or so on display all in the 400+ to 500+ range :shock: I could get a ruger mini14 in .223 for 600.00 what is the deal with the prices? Or have they always been this high? I saw SKS's sold at a local gun show for under 100.00
A few years back.
Thanks Missa
Mr. Missaman,
This is my latest AK that I got from from Duhams Sporting goods. They had a special sale going on and i got it for $239.00 plus I changed out the stock for the folding which is acually better for shooting cause it's longer. You don't have to spend $400.00 - $500.00.

Tallman

Assualt Ban again

Post by Tallman »

:twisted: :evil: Looks like the gun grabbers are ready to try to put another assualt weapons ban on the books if they have half a chance.
Was reading article at work on someone from New York trying to get a new bill to ban so called assualt rifles. including rugers mini-14.Dont have article in front of me.Should be able to find on NRA website.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Claudster, I like the folding stock on yours, Maybe a new gunshop is in order that sounds like a more reasonable price. 8)
Nice job on the stock on the other one Too

Mr Tallman. Yes that is one of the reasons I was looking to purchase one while I still can Before the gun haters ban everything.... :twisted:

Missa
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

missa, unless you like cleaning your guns soon after shooting may i suggest you get an ak with a chrome lined barrel. the ammo may say non corrosive but it can still rust the barrel, me and da bird are doing great, thanks for the advice!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
NRAJOE

Post by NRAJOE »

My Milled Bulgarian SLR101SG...$500 3 years ago:

Shoot the middle out of clay targets at 100 yds all day long... 8)
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Combat Engineers
Manager North American Gunrunners:
http://groups.msn.com/NorthAmericanGunrunners