Storage of Auto knives

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Trey45

Storage of Auto knives

Post by Trey45 »

When storing an auto opener is it best to store it open with the spring pressure relieved? Aside from the obvious safety factors I won't store rifle or pistol magazines loaded in order to prolong spring life. My daily carry pistol I do keep 2 magazines loaded at all times, switching them out with 2 spare magazines about every 30 days if needed. I am unsure if switchblades have this same inherent wear factor of compressed springs losing their resiliance after prolonged compression. Thanks in advance for any info concerning this matter.
Give us this day our daily lead.
tpyke

Post by tpyke »

Apparently, the rule of thumb is to store leaf autos open and coil autos closed. I store all of mine open though....
Cambo

Post by Cambo »

I've read that a well designed leaf spring should never wear within its design limits. Although storing it closed should have no effect, I store all mine open. (Except OTF's)
Knock loud, I'm sleeping in back.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A properly made and tempered spring does not "wear out" or "get tired" IF it is operated within design limits, and IF it has no flaws [internally or externally]. The "common sense" habit of storing them open is because tiny flaws or errors in tempering or manufacture will sooner or later cause failure. The spring, and how it was made, is the real fasctor not the way it was stored :idea:
LaBella

Post by LaBella »

mine are always open!

"its a cool looking thing" nothing scientific though.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Store them the way you want, if open feels best to you, that's cool.
Storing them closed does NO damage.
A bad spring will break sooner or later no matter how you store it.
A good spring will never break or weaken.
If you store a bad spring open, it will probably break when you close it.
If you store a bad spring closed, it will probably break when you open it.
[A bad spring has some defect internal or external OR some error in the hardening/tempering process. It may APPEAR perfect. Attempts to make a spring stronger by bending it are very likely to cause failure at a later date no matter what the short term results are !]
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Thank you one and all for the helpfull information. I've decided to store it closed since it appears to be a very well made knife. Plus according to Vagrant, a bad spring will fail regardless of storage postion, sort of like the signs above the 2 gates to hell, damned if you do, damned if you dont :D You've made this new comer to your forum feel welcome and I appreciate that. Excellent work guys.
Give us this day our daily lead.