Nothing to do with Ebay, Aliens, nor Bears...

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ratstuph

Nothing to do with Ebay, Aliens, nor Bears...

Post by ratstuph »

Mr. Vagrant,
Oh wise-one, sage seer of all that is worth seeing, multidimensional maven, and all around know-it-all—the question is:
How well does anodized titanium resist losing its color/finish? That is, how well would the color (say blue or purple) of an anodized handle resist losing its color due to the foolish owner actually using the knife? I’ve noticed my Gen I LCC does not lose its color, only gets kind of shiny where the titanium bolsters are scratched or marred by use. However, I don’t know the original color of titanium (grey?) for this knife’s bolsters, nor am I sure it was anodized. I am thinking of having the titanium handle of a knife I am ordering anodized in order to achieve either a blue or purple color, but don’t want to see it look crappy over time due to my actual use of the knife. The handle of this knife will be skeletonized titanium, with no scales. So the handle finish of my almost new knife is in your able hands Mr. Vagrant; what say ye?
Thanks,
Rats…
P.S. Other know-it-alls (I know you're out there) please feel free to chime in.
sheep-free since '93'...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This may depend some on how well the anodizer does the job but, if protected from abrasion/scratching it should last indefinately. It should not be affected much by age only actual wear.
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Vagrant wrote:This may depend some on how well the anodizer does the job but, if protected from abrasion/scratching it should last indefinately. It should not be affected much by age only actual wear.
Mr. Vagrant,
Well there's the rub (no pun intended); I plan to use said knife so it will be the recipient of much daily use and positioning in my pocket. So how bad will the anodized color wear off, assuming the knife gets frequeint field trips in and out of my pocket
thanks,
Rats.......
sheep-free since '93'...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I hate to say "it depends" but that's the bottom line. The anodiziing of titanium is very hard and resistant to wear but I have worn a couple of diamond sharpeners almost smooth over the years :shock: so anything is possible. Normal use with clean hands should not affect the anodizing but if the hands get dirty/greasey the dirt/grease may have a grit content that works like lapping compound and does cause wear. Surfaces with right-angles and/or sharp edges are the most vulnerable to any wear. Rounded or flat surfaces are less prone to wear. Pocket carry with other items also can cause wear, a sheath carry is better. [That's too many variables for one stock answer].
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Mr. Vagrant,
The information about the variables is really useful because it helps me consider how I will carry/use the knife--so thanks! :D
It is going to be a beauty!
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know much about titanium, but I do know this-titanium PLATING is darned hard stuff! Years ago I got a titanium plated Swiss Army watch for my "Marlboro miles"-I didn't have enough miles for the iron lung!
This watch has been my shop watch, work on the car watch, don't give a damn if I ruin it watch for about 8 years. There isn't a scratch on it! I'm looking for a plater to do some guns for me. Outside of stainless, it may be the ultimate finish! Also, it takes a long time to wear TiNi coating off a drill bit!
Bill
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Bill DeShivs wrote:...Igot a titanium plated Swiss Army watch for my "Marlboro miles"-I didn't have enough miles for the iron lung!
Bill
:lol:
Thanks Mr. DeShivs. I've pretty much decided on trying an anodized treatment for the titanium handle in order to get a desired color. What color might that be, you might ask? Well Dallas Cowboy BLUE, of course! It was either go for a colored handle, or the standard grey of the titanium. I think the blue will look really nice with a highly polished blade. We'll see because I should have the knife in a couple of weeks (I hope). My concern was that the anodization would wear off easily just from going in and out of my pocket, and from rubbing on the area around the clip. Its not that I do so much real work with my knives, however I do notice they get scuffed or scratched just from minimal use (opening mail, boxes, cutting the occasional strapping tape) and going in and out of my pocket.
One reason I'm comfortable about the anodizing is I think were I to have any problems with it, it would be taken care of quickly. The fellow making the knife (you may know him; Chris English) seems very accomodating and is a pleasure to work ("work" in the sense that I'm not really doing anything, other than yapping on the phone with him) with.
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I don't know anything about anodizing titanium but somebody told me that the different colors are achieved by varying the electrical current.
No es verdad?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

The Falcon wrote:I don't know anything about anodizing titanium but somebody told me that the different colors are achieved by varying the electrical current.
No es verdad?
Sr.. El Halcón,
Es la verdad.
Well, to the degree that I understood your question, and correctly used Bablefish to formulate the reponse.
When I was speaking with Chris about it, that's what he told me. He listed quite a few colors he can achieve. The most intersting to me was when he was talking about a green color (I don't think I need to go into my nigh on allergic reaction to green, do I?). He suggested that the weather seemed to affect his ability to get different hues of green. I wish I could go and watch him work on it, but that would surely slow it down a bit...
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

I managed to scratch my non-anodized titanium on a kydex sheath.
The anodized one did not scratch.
Makes me think the anodized finish is tougher, but I don't know for sure.
Practically all my knives live in drawers...

G
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:I don't know anything about anodizing titanium but somebody told me that the different colors are achieved by varying the electrical current.
No es verdad?
Bingo, unlike aluminum anodizing in which dyes are used, with titanium it is a purely electrical process.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

So does the color go all the way through the titanium or does it just color the surface?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

The Falcon wrote:So does the color go all the way through the titanium or does it just color the surface?
You know, if I had any sense I would have already asked that! Yet more proof... :roll:
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pretty much into the surface layer not just on it, but not to any real depth.