Motorcycle sprocket

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Motorcycle sprocket

Post by missaman »

Mr. Vagrent,
I had the motorcycle out for an extended ride today But the bike revs to high at highway speeds. In my opinion. I remember changing out the front [Small] sprocket on I bike I owned in the 80's to get lower revs at highway speeds
But I can't remember If it had more or fewer teeth than the one I took off
Logic tells me more teeth lower revs Am I correct? I found new sprockets but no info on which one to use :cry:
Thanks
Missaman
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Missyman..

A higher drive sprocket will gear it up... higher speed.. lower revs..IF you've got enough power.. :lol:

All the best
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

Teddy
Higher drive=more teeth? :?
As for power it's a small bike but I can always drop a gear on steep hills :wink:
Missaman
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Missa, change the rear sprocket to a smaller one, it is more 'adjustable' having more teeth, and you can lessen the wheelbase by moving the rear wheel forward to speed up the steering a tad.
Only problem is you need anew chain going this way.
Get an 'O-ring chain if you do and keep it clean.
The bike wiill be much quieter too if your chain is worn at all.
Keep the rubber side down. :lol:
Jagman.
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

That's good enough for me.
[Big thingy turns little one = speed, little one turns big = torque. Same rule for gears or belts]
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Missa..

I too would go with changing the rear sprocket given the choice... as Jagman says.. one tooth smaller on the REAR sprocket is less of a jump than one tooth bigger on the front (drive) sprocket... if'n you just go one tooth smaller on the rear you might get away with not having to shorten the chain..

All the best
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Vagrant wrote [Big thingy turns little one = speed, little one turns big = torque. Same rule for gears or belts]

Physics according to Vagrant
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jim d, wrote:Vagrant wrote [Big thingy turns little one = speed, little one turns big = torque. Same rule for gears or belts]

Physics according to Vagrant
I have frequently had to deal with; people who didn't speak English, drop outs, people on "work release", and assorted other types. It helps to make it as simple as possible :wink: [I've sometimes had to say "power" instead of torque but that's not accurate even if it does get the message through :? ] AND for all you torque fans, torque only measures EFFORT applied - horsepower measures work done. Example a small V-8 and a man [on a bycycle] can both produce about 200 lbs/ft of torque the acceleration differences is due to the horsepower difference 8)
missaman

Post by missaman »

The Stock Sprocket Front has 13 teeth the Honda dealer has 11,12,13,14.
I ordered a 14 tooth sprocket today thanks 8)
Big thingie little thingie makes sense to me :lol:
sammy da blade

x

Post by sammy da blade »

the easiest way to get more speed and power would be to get a bigger bike. but this time get something to fill your needs while riding better. you can get a used metric cruiser a few yrs. old at a pretty reasonable price anymore. personaly i like the harley, but if i couldn't afford one i'd ride another metric.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!