sheffield steel

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mister re-man

sheffield steel

Post by mister re-man »

Mr Vagrant can you give me any info on this knife - it's a lever lock but looks to be about 11 inches over all. thanks
brass lever spring blade knife. it is tang stamped clearly marked NO.6 SHEFFIELD STEEL. the lever has a 6 stamped on it also. the blade has a stamp that i think says BEST STEEL. it is hard to read.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Is the handle wood? 11" you say? Pakistan I say.
PB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't believe Pushbutton! He's close, though.
Your handle is horn, and your knife was made in India, prior to 1975. It was not made in England.
Bill DeShivs
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mine says Germany but the handles are wood with shell pullers. India ,Pakistan close enough for piece work.
PB
Last edited by Pushbutton on Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Yep it's Indian all right I have one of those as well, does it have shell pullers in the front bolster? Those have been around for a while specifically to fool unwary buyers of spring steel,you might say, they were almost the original switchblade clones.
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The luck of the Irish again :) someone asks a :?: and I don't have a clue :( But it's posted when I'm at work and the answer is already posted when I get home :wink:
mister re-man

Post by mister re-man »

well thanks to all for the onfo -- i was curious because i hadn't seen one before and if anyone is interested it's listed on ebay - i was gonna bid on it , but i think i'll pass. it is dark horn and does have shotshell pullers. here's a link -- kinda ugly but ------http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

"Kinda ugly" is being extremely complimentary. Wow.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Overall length 11" blade 5 cm. [That always makes me laugh].
The only strange thing about this one is a worm hole. Was it an American worm or a Pakistani worm ? [Has it been here a while or did it take a looong time for them to ship it :?: ]
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

this question is to those of you who have one o f these, is one of these indian levers worth having? are they descent quality perhaps because they were made 30 years ago?
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

They are a fairly unique POS, but as long as you know what your buying, (and I like the somewhat unusual) theres no harm done.
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

It is very likely that steel was first made in India or Sri Lanka [Ceylon]. For centuries Indian steel was the best in the world. When they discovered stainless [a European introduction] things did not improve :(