Al Sweeney Has Passed UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Al Sweeney Has Passed UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Post by natcherly »

Diana called this morning to let me know Al had passed late yesterday. I gave her my condolences and thanked her for all she had done taking care of Al over the years. I told her I would let his friends on this forum know. We wish them both all the best.
TRYKER

Re: Al Sweeney Has Passed

Post by TRYKER »

sad news indeed, Al was a major part of this forum for many years always willing to go out of his way to find the info they were looking for.

R.I.P. PEACE AL :( :( :(
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

So sorry to hear, I'm sure he's in a much better place now. He could be having a beer now with Jerry and Pete!
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

Very sad news. I recall when I first joined the forum I asked Al, Ask Vagrant, for help with a loose safety. He had a fix for it. He said it was a temporary fix and the knife needs to be taken apart to be repaired. He was always there to help. RIP Al you’ll always be remembered on TalkBlade.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sad news indeed! As I mentioned before Al was an important part of my early switchblade education coming up on 20 years ago. I purchased some knives from Al when he was a seller and I have in front of me right now an Italian leverlock with the coveted "Vagrant Knives" stamp on the blade.

I was thinking of all the classic things Al said over the years and I could type seemingly forever but right now I'll only convey my favorite. We were having a discussion about fishing. Some of you remember Al talk about fishing in his beloved brook. Some of you know I have a history of saltwater fishing. Al said: "none of the salty stuff for me Jim, when I go fishing I want to be certain that I'll be the only great white involved in the activities" Classic Al!

Rest in peace Al

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Very sad to hear this. Yes Jim, Al was always fishing in the brook by his house. I sent him some fishing tackle years ago. I actually looked at houses in NH years back inspired by Al's stories of the fishing and wild by his house...RIP Al.....You will be missed.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Requiem in Pacem, brother Al. May God give you rest.
Diana: May you be comforted by God in his infinite wisdom.
In Jesus' name, I pray.
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I know he has been in a poor way for quite awhile. Rest in peace, Al.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Al liked to fish, but only fed the trout to his dogs as he didn't eat what he caught!

I don't think he was alone in this. Can fishermen on this site explain this phenomenon?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I do eat fish and I fish fresh water fishing as much as I can. I mostly practice catch and release as Al mostly did too. It is like any sport, the hunt and catch is the most exciting part of it unless you are in need of food, or just want a different meal and you target that fish.

I remember Al with his dogs by the stream. He had all sorts of strange fishing poles he made. I sent him a beat up old green fishing reel he loved....RIP Al...
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm sure he will be missed by many people besides us on the forum.R.I.P. Al, hope to meet you some day on the other side.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So sorry for Al's loved ones.
He was a good guy!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I am sad to hear of the passing of Al,when I first got on TB,I sent Al many email's,he answered every one of them ,he was a good guy,r.i.p. Al.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, All-

Once again, sad to hear of another esteamed colleague's departure from this temporal plane. Mr. Vagrant will always live on AS a true gentleman and a willing teacher to those of me, always tolerant of mine goofy queries and resplendent in his Live Free Or Die wit and wisdom. At such time AS now and forever, eye shalt hoist one for gone Al...

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

David - I can't answer your question from personal experience- I catch fish and I eat fish, but I also catch and release fish. However, I do know folks who enjoy fishing for what it is, but do not like to eat fish.

I just have to relate another of what I consider to be a classic Al line. The subject was politics and Al said that the best way he could describe his political views is "just slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun" :lol:

Jim