replacement sear

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

replacement sear

Post by rapidboy1 »

Hello Mr Vagrant
Once again i require your words of wisdom.
I have had to fabricate a replacement sear for a theoben rapid 17 precharged air rifle.
I realise that you are not familiar with this particular gun but i dont think the type of gun is relevant.
I have fabricated the sear from mild steel and am wondering if i will need to harden it in some way or do you think it will be alright as it is?
Are sears usually hardened?
Many thanks
The Rapidboy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: replacement sear

Post by Vagrant »

rapidboy1 wrote:Hello Mr Vagrant
Once again i require your words of wisdom.
I have had to fabricate a replacement sear for a theoben rapid 17 precharged air rifle.
I realise that you are not familiar with this particular gun but i dont think the type of gun is relevant.
I have fabricated the sear from mild steel and am wondering if i will need to harden it in some way or do you think it will be alright as it is?
Are sears usually hardened?
Many thanks
The Rapidboy
Sears are almost always "case-hardened" a process that is not easily done as a "do it yourself" project. Ther is a case-hardening powder that does a pretty good job using a [much] simplified process. I'll try to find a
reference if I can.
It's called Kasenite and this place has it much closer then others I found.
http://www.blackgateseng.freeserve.co.u ... items.html
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I seem to recall that stuff being used to harden a ruger 10/22 extractor on an online project.
Many thanks.
Rapidboy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've used it once or twice. It works o.k. but once the part is hardened do not do any filing, stoning, or polishing, the "case" is very shallow and while its hard the metal beneath it is soft [as it should be] be. A commercial case hardening job will be several thousandths deeper. The Kasenite is fine if you resist the temptation to "clean thing up, a little!"