Lawrence

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Lawrence

Post by Viking45 »

Thought I would share my latest venture.
Friday (11th) my girlfriend and I went to Lawrence Kansas to the University of Kansas(KU)
Took off Friday morning at 7 am.
In my my mind I was thinking it was going to be a boring trip involving monotonous intellectuals discussing art and at best some kind of archaeological find.
Wow! I find myself in a 150 year old building (the one in pic 7 & 10)
One minute later I am asked to enter an office where I encounter a 50ish year old blonde goddess in blue jeans and sexy heels.
She is a Dr/Professor in archaeology.
Long story short,My girlfriend needed an "out-of-state" something or other to complete her masters art course.
We somehow got this woman's number and she agreed to meet with us.

It was to be a 30 minute meeting but ended up being 2 hours.
Her studies are domesticated horses and she had just returned from Kazakhstan where the first human domesticated a horse.
She has been all over the place and told stories of how Kazakhstan is much like her home state of Kansas with rolling hills,lightning,tornadoes and ball lightning.
Her and her husband moved from Berkley to Lawrence (both are professors) at Kansas University.

She said they were on a dig on a personal friend's land and this a guy that's like one of the world's best primitive tool makers and he asks the professors around the campfire Hey,one of our horses died today want to skin it?" :lol:
Of course using flint tools,so they proceeded to skin it including scraping the fat from the flesh and gristle from the bone. All in the name of science of course. That would be a pretty ambitious endeavor even with a good knife but with a sharp rock?
Pretty cool chick.

Here is a few pics I took of the trip.
First pic was an Amish wagon we saw in the small town of Harrisonville Missouri.
Not sure the other few buildings are but the 9th pic is the KU Biodiversity Institute and Natural History Museum,truly an incredible building.
My girlfriend went in but I sat outside under a huge statue of an eagle and watched people go by.
One interesting observation I made while sitting there for about 45 minutes was that not one person at any time was talking or texting on a phone.
We drove around the campus and downtown and back again and we were shocked no one was on a phone,they seemed focused and people were communicating.

The next pic is the Oread Hotel,that place is amazing.
Attachments
L-13.jpg
L-13.jpg (419.68 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-12.JPG
L-12.JPG (178.47 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-11.JPG
L-11.JPG (182.44 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-10.JPG
L-10.JPG (187.45 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-09.JPG
L-09.JPG (175.54 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-08.JPG
L-08.JPG (229.66 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-07.JPG
L-07.JPG (205.51 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-06.JPG
L-06.JPG (182.32 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-05.JPG
L-05.JPG (208.76 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-04.JPG
L-04.JPG (208.3 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-03.JPG
L-03.JPG (274.31 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-02.JPG
L-02.JPG (269.62 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
L-01.JPG
L-01.JPG (321.24 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
sammy da blade

Re: Lawrence

Post by sammy da blade »

Got any pics. Of the hottie?
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

No. One of my regrets of the trip.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Bummer! Always like see an older lady that has it goin on seeing how I'm an old geezer! But I ain't dead yet!!!
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

oh come on now Vike; no pics means it didn't happen. You know that by now. :wink:
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

hogwild wrote:oh come on now Vike; no pics means it didn't happen. You know that by now. :wink:
Well the 5th pic from bottom shows the car we rented- It's a VW Passat. I was very impressed with the performance.
I would call it the working man's BMW.
The brakes were super sensitive which took some getting used to and it handled like a dream.

But seriously,my camera was in the car and I regret not bringing it,not just to get a pic of Professor Hottie but all the cool stuff she showed us.

The last pics were of someone's giant castle-of-a-home. There were lots of huge houses like that but that one really stood out.
The town is nothing like the flat Kansas I remembered as a kid,very hilly and the university is on a hilltop (I think called Mount Oread)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Oread
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Next time you go back Don't Forget The Camera! Maybe suggests swimming? HO HO!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

sammy da blade wrote:Next time you go back Don't Forget The Camera! Maybe suggests swimming? HO HO!
Or maybe suggest doing some intensive research back at the lab. 8)
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

That'll work.