PRADEL Identity

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leggo

PRADEL Identity

Post by leggo »

Any idea if this is one of the many companies that reproduced this style of knife ? I think it had a bale originally...but not sure . I tried researching it , and get conflicting information on what the originals look like and what year it was made , and whether the boat anchor on it is correct or makes it a fake , I also posted under General Knife Discussion.
Attachments
20151222_142554_resized[1].jpg
20151222_142554_resized[1].jpg (184.13 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: PRADEL Identity

Post by Vagrant »

I have no clue.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have seen several of these knives over the years and many did have a bail.
Two of the Pradel knives I have seen had Sheffield tang stamp,one had an anchor the other was stamped PRADEL.

Here is some good info on the Pradel knives. This guy seems to know what he's talking about.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... adel-story
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

After doing a little more research I'm lead to believe the original "Pradel" brand knife became popular and copied by many different brands.
Makers often stamped their knives Pradel and although decent quality they were not true Pradel knives.
Kind of like calling any reciprocating saw a "Sawzall" when in fact Sawzall is a Trademark name from Milwaukee tools.
Another example of a similar knife is the Barlow,many different brands made a Barlow and there was a knife company named Barlow. Over many years the Barlow became an actual "style" of knife.

I have seen Pradel Sheffield stamps but I don't think these were original Pradels.