Freedom

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Freedom

Post by Viking45 »

We have all seen the Statue of Liberty in photos,tv or in person but how many have really taken a close look at The Statue of Freedom?
I think she's beautiful and until tonight never really have seen the details or got the story behind her.
Freedom1.jpg
Freedom1.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Got this bit from this website- http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-hill/other-s ... ue-freedom

The bronze Statue of Freedom by Thomas Crawford is the crowning feature of the Dome of the United States Capitol. The statue is a classical female figure with long, flowing hair wearing a helmet with a crest composed of an eagle’s head and feathers. The helmet is encircled by nine stars. She wears a classical dress secured with a brooch inscribed "U.S." Over it is draped a heavy, flowing, toga-like robe fringed with fur and decorative balls. Her right hand rests upon the hilt of a sheathed sword wrapped in a scarf; in her left hand she holds a laurel wreath of victory and the shield of the United States with 13 stripes. Ten bronze points tipped with platinum are attached to her headdress, shoulders, and shield for protection from lightning. She stands on a cast-iron pedestal on a globe encircled with the motto E Pluribus Unum (Out of many, one).

The lower part of the pedestal is decorated with fasces (symbols of the authority of government) and wreaths. The pedestal is 18-1/2 feet high and almost doubles the total height. The crest of Freedom’s headdress rises 288 feet above the East Front Plaza.

Freedom_United_States_Capitol.jpg
Freedom_United_States_Capitol.jpg (342.23 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
ILikeStilettos

Re: Freedom

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Good post, I didn't know dat!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."