Red 9

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Red 9

Post by Viking45 »

A beautifully made video of the "Broomstick" Mauser C96
Such a pristine specimen they use in the demonstration,a real work of art. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqbJeDHK64
Attachments
9859.jpg
9859.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Red 9

Post by natcherly »

Thanks Mr. V. A walk down memory lane. I have a 7.63mm C96 with shoulder stock, holster and stripper clips. I had a Red 9 some years ago similarly outfitted. They are great guns to shoot. Sold the 9 back to the guy who I bought it from. Should have kept it, but we all say that about certain things.

Anyway, the video shows a real example put through its paces. The still photo, however, is not of a true red 9 but a C96 that has been modified. Looks like someone rebarreled the gun as the barrel is not the correct length and the bluing looks different. Also the "9" in the grip is not like that on the true examples.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

David yes the video was well made and it pointed out how complex the mechanisms are in this exquisite gun.
As for the photo I didn't take time to research,I just looked for a small pic to place here.

I have held several of these guns but never had the pleasure of firing one.
Al once said "Leave it to the Germans to over complicate something..." but it is the genius designs that make German products so coveted.

It makes me think of the Thompson,back in the day it cost well over 300 dollars to produce one and about 50/60 to make a grease gun.
The Thompson was complicated and took some serious machining but when the bad guys heard the tune those 45's played it put fear in their heart.
It may not have had much penetrating power but those fat 230 grains slapping against metal,wood or cutting through the forest would make anyone pee themselves :lol:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Be careful with putting stocks on these, that's only legal if the weapon is an original C96 and the stock is not a reproduction.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Good point Mr. Dark but I will never have that concern as I will most likely never be able to afford one of these amazing guns.
However they rank very high on my "dream gun" list.
Not in any particular order my top 10 is:

#01- M14
#02- M1 Garand
#03- Thompson (Sub)
#04- Israeli FN/FAL 308
#05- H&K 91
#06- Colt 1911 Probably my favorite gun ever.
#07- Accuracy International 338 Lapua
#08- Original German Luger
#09- 1950's Husqvarna 30-06 bolt with walnut Monte Carlo stock
#10- Winchester 1873 (in my opinion the worlds first battle rifle)

I could possibly substitute the Broom Handle for one of these.
And on the 338 Lapua the Sako TRG would be a fabulous substitute.

I always appreciate your knowledge of the gun Mr. Dark,not many your age has your wit on hardware.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Great list. You might consider adding one of my all time favs, the FG42

dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

The FG42 is an awesome gun, I've always just wanted to look inside one. They have a very unique closed and open bolt hybrid system.
When shooting full auto they fire from an open bolt, when shooting in semi they fire in closed bolt mode. If you switch from auto to semi, the bolt will come forward and close the chamber. If you go from semi to full auto the bolt will stay closed for the first shot (possibly offering slightly better accuracy for the first shot)

As long as we're listing off our top 10 dream guns, I'll go ahead and give mine too.

#01- Ruger AC-556
#02- Shanxi Type 17 (.45acp C96 clone)
#03- Colt Single Action army
#04- Jericho 941
#05- Savage Mk10 .308
#06- HK P7
#07- Ruger 96/22
#08- Luger P04 Navy
#09- Mateba Tres Unica (autorevolver)
#10- Savage 1907
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Don't care if she is old enough to be my mom she's still hot as a firecracker.
Helen rocking a Browning 50 still get's my blood pumping.
John has some kind of "Hilti" power tool,most likely a hammer drill(Made in Hungary or Germany)
Notice his strip-clip is the 22 blanks made to fire concrete nails 8)

Love the FG42 David,I had no idea they were so small and yet complicated and intense.
I am a big fan of the MG42 which is a ridiculously fast 30 cal. (The predecessor was the MG 34...I think)
HelenRed_9.jpg
HelenRed_9.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
The MG 39 was incredible but the 42 set the standard for the modern small arms machine gun.
The 42 had interchangeable barrels and shroud, not sure about the 39.

MG39- Ha-Haa,love the suitcase handle. God bless vintage.
mg39rh.jpg
mg39rh.jpg (439.74 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
MG42-
mg42.jpg
mg42.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Yes, the MG 34 had replaceable barrels as did many light machine guns of that era such as the British Bran, the Czech ZB and variants as well as the Japanese Type 96 & 99. The US did not have a light mg such as the afore mentioned. We soldiered through WWII with the BAR and the Browning .30. The air cooled version of the Browning could have been more successful if its design included a replaceable barrel. One often had to pee on the damn thing to prevent it deforming during extended fire. Yikes.

If you can get one, I would recommend "Small Arms of the World" by W H B Smith. I have three editions of this classic, but they stopped updating it several years ago. Lots of very interesting stuff.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Bren meant Brno-Enfield :idea:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

One can't forget the Bren. I read an article that said several countries still use it so it must be a great machine gun.
bren_l4a4.jpg
bren_l4a4.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
The ole Maxim took a crew of three to operate.
Max.jpg
Max.jpg (94.85 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
And the Browning M1917 (103 lbs) was a brute.
browning1917a1.jpg
browning1917a1.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
The Swedish Kjellman machine gun takes the prize for the most "awkward" looking. 8)
Kjellman machine gun.jpg
Kjellman machine gun.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 5891 times