Dressed or Undressed

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Dressed or Undressed

Post by Viking45 »

It took me a decade to warm up to the decked-out AR's but when I finally started really digging some of the cool stuff they were coming up with I see the wood grain and fall in love and go back to liking the clean look.
Some of the woody's are just amazing.
AR_wood.JPG
AR_wood.JPG (155.91 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
AR-custombuild.jpg
AR-custombuild.jpg (201.83 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
Even got the "John Deere" thing going on.
AR-JD.jpg
AR-JD.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
This guy is doing some cool stuff-
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/steel-w ... g-company/

What are some of your favorite AR makers?
Attachments
ar15-t.jpg
ar15-t.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
AR-IMG_0201.jpg
AR-IMG_0201.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
AR-kmad2.jpg
AR-kmad2.jpg (394.8 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
AR-s.jpg
AR-s.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
AR-woody_4.jpg
AR-woody_4.jpg (836.37 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Re: Dressed or Undressed

Post by hogwild »

I'm really digging the wood furniture.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

hogwild wrote:I'm really digging the wood furniture.
Happy to see your reply Hoggie,the more pics I see I'm liking it more and more.
Especially that bottom pic with the "tri" fore end.
What's really cool is when you pair that with an awesome bayonet with matching walnut.
Perhaps not for combat but for sheer looks.

Pete- Your turn brother. Not sure but I think Jim D has an AR? I know he has the sweetest 39A I have ever seen.

Let's turn this thread into an all-out-gun-free-for-all. Post any and everything "GUN"
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

wood is just so classic.
If it's being used a range toy or target rifle then might as well go with elegant, natural, handcrafted, soulful wood.
However if I were to be actually trying to use it in harsh conditions and want it to remain lightweight then I'm going with polymer.

I actually bought a whole polymer set for my AK and a very expensive metal galil style folding stock. I put it all on. Within an hour I had the wooden handguards back on it. After just a few weeks I had the wood stock back on it too.

I really like the look of the early Vietnam era M-16 triangle handguard on an AR-15.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I don't have an AR - haven't warmed up to them yet. My .223 / 5.56 is a Browning A Bolt Medallion with a nice Leupold 4x-12x scope. I do appreciate the functionality of the AR's though

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Sorry to say that I have no use for the AR platform, I took basic training in 1966, we used the M-14, they were well broken in but never failed to go bang, In 65 the boys in nam were givin the M-16's, a little bit of sand or dirt and those plastic POS would jam up in a heartbeat, lots of guys would carry them but picked up AK's from the dead VC or NVA, even if one of them became full of mud you could just wash it out and go to shooting!
I know they've made a lot of improvements on the AR's over the years but that memory still puts me off about them, a lot of my friends have them and love them but i'll stick with my AK!
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I have to agree with
Tequiza on this one. I've had an AR and it was a fine target gun. But I love my AK and wouldn't trade it for the world.
People go out of their way to pile millions of accessories on the AR platform, the AK just works are is. The only modification they really benefit from would be a side folding stock and a red dot sight (I love red dot sights as long as they dont interfere with my original sight picture (co-witnessing)).

My big issue with ARs is that I dont care how light weight or accurate a gun is if it wont shoot when you need it to.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Pete I was thinking you sent a pic of a couple dressed-up AR's,maybe it was your boy's?
tequiza wrote:Sorry to say that I have no use for the AR platform, I took basic training in 1966, we used the M-14, they were well broken in but never failed to go bang
I agree,I'd take the M14 over any dressed up AR. In my opinion it is the best rifle ever built.
Always thought the FAL was pretty cool.
Fact is I really don't like all the BS on any rifle. No offense to anyone that has one but it makes my skin crawl to see a scope on a Winchester 30 30.
To me a scope belongs on a bolt gun or a sniper rifle. You can spend 3 grand on a Schmidt & Bender or a couple hundred on a good ole American Leupold (would be my choice)
M-014-01.jpg
M-014-01.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
m14-00.jpg
m14-00.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
Mr. Dark I know what you mean. There's something about wood that really adds a bit of class.
When it comes to AK's many times the wood is just ok but if you were handy you could strip it and clean it up or you can find several companies that sell really nice looking furniture for the AK.

I have the Golani Sporter and that thing is robust to say the least. Machined receiver makes a huge difference the heft.
There were a few minor problems with them at first but mostly in the Galil magazines,many were refurbished and weren't that reliable.
I have three of the steel Galil 35 rd mags and they have worked fine so far but last year I bought a bunch of new 30rd Tapco's and they are just awesome. They even look better.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Dave,
This is the only pic I can find, the guns are not mine, a few friends came over one weekend to do a little shooting, I thought I had a pic of the two AK's I built but I can't find it.
100_1439.JPG
100_1439.JPG (729.44 KiB) Viewed 8651 times
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

When it comes to AK's many times the wood is just ok but if you were handy you could strip it and clean it up or you can find several companies that sell really nice looking furniture for the AK.
I put furniture recovered from the Balkan wars on mine. Actual battlefield pickup wood. I have multiple sets, some of them have words carved in them (not that I can read them) and one piece, the wooden fore-grip has a picture somehow imprinted or glued to it.

I have the Golani Sporter and that thing is robust to say the least. Machined receiver makes a huge difference the heft.
You can definitely feel the difference between a stamped and forged receiver, I have a .308 VEPR rifle and it's reinforced RPK type receiver quite a bit heaver than my basic AK.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jim d, wrote:I don't have an AR - haven't warmed up to them yet. My .223 / 5.56 is a Browning A Bolt Medallion with a nice Leupold 4x-12x scope. I do appreciate the functionality of the AR's though

Jim
Jim- Love to see it.
I know you are on the road a lot and don't have much time but if you get a chance.
The Reverend Sharp

Post by The Reverend Sharp »

I have to say I like all of 'em......................unfortunately we had a fellow go a bit, you know, 'Funny in the Head' as Peter Sellars said in Stanley Kubrick's 'Dr Strangelove' when General Jack Ripper sent a Hydrogen Bomb to Russia.

This chap decided to kill 35 people at a Tourist Centre and this triggered sweeping Gun Law Reform here and with no Bill of Rights; all Semi Autos were banned.

You cant even have a pump action shotgun here unless you can prove you 'need' one (and no self defence weapons allowed) so things are pretty grim as only two classes of folks are allowed to even posess; Cops and Crims. The line is often blurred between those two as well I might add.

The Ol' Rev, being something of a Traditionalist chooses this old girl for the farm;

These were once used here by the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong arm of the Law :lol:
Attachments
photo.JPG3R.JPG
photo.JPG3R.JPG (264.73 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Love those Martinis! Ever since Zulu.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

natcherly wrote:Love those Martinis! Ever since Zulu.
I agree,very simple but beautiful.
If I'm not mistaken these were chambered in several different rounds. 303 possibly?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

003.JPG
003.JPG (246.05 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (197.61 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
As requested Dave

Jim