380 Choices

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: 380 Choices

Post by Bonzo »

jimbeam wrote:I rest my case about revolvers being a better choice than semi autos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdnxeW ... gest-vrecs

Mr. JimBeam,

While I agree that the revolver is the best functioning weapon for self defense, I would think we all agree that any weapon is probably better than nothing at all. As for Mr. Viking's lady friend, I would advise the revolver as well. Less parts to be gummed up with lint, dirt, etc.. A .38 snubbie with hydrashock should do the trick.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Bonzo wrote:
jimbeam wrote:I rest my case about revolvers being a better choice than semi autos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdnxeW ... gest-vrecs

Mr. JimBeam,

While I agree that the revolver is the best functioning weapon for self defense, I would think we all agree that any weapon is probably better than nothing at all. As for Mr. Viking's lady friend, I would advise the revolver as well. Less parts to be gummed up with lint, dirt, etc.. A .38 snubbie with hydrashock should do the trick.

Best regards,

Bonz
I agree with Jimbeam and Bonz on the revolver for Viking's lady friend, i've had one of these for 9 years and it goes where I go, only drawback is a long trigger pull,but at close range you can get off 5 rounds in less than two seconds :D

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Less parts to be gummed up with lint, dirt, etc.. A .38 snubbie with hydrashock should do the trick.
Revolvers can be easily jammed by lint or dirt if it gets in the right places, and it is not easy to fix.

Also, how can you guys say .45acp is better than 9mm but then continually push .38 which is less powerful than 9mm
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Although not a real "looker" the Smitty hammerless snubby is sounding more and more likely.
There is a wide variety of good ammo out there for a 38.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Viking45 wrote:Although not a real "looker" the Smitty hammerless snubby is sounding more and more likely.
There is a wide variety of good ammo out there for a 38.
:D
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JB what is your opinion of the S&W hammerless?
I personally don't care much for the looks but have heard many good things. I wasn't crazy about the lack of external hammer but it wouldn't snag on anything especially if it were in a purse.
Thing is she may not like it but we won't know until she holds/fires it.
She really liked the feel of my dad's Model 10 and Model 36.
Like to find a S&W 357 with 4in barrel and use 38's. The weight and barrel length would keep the recoil down.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

If going with a revolver I would suggest the S&W 649 or for those on a budget maybe a Taurus 651, both of which can fire .357 if you and want feature a shrouded hammer, which is just as snag free as a DAO yet still gives you the capability to use it single action if need be.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

dark2023 wrote:Also, how can you guys say .45acp is better than 9mm but then continually push .38 which is less powerful than 9mm

Mr. Dark,

You're not getting the gist of the thread my friend. It's about what a lady might consider for self defense. I carry a .45 acp, but I'm also 190 lbs. I would consider the .38 revolver ideal for concealed carry and extreme close combat for any lady willing to forgo the pc world and take self defense seriously.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I would consider the .38 revolver ideal for concealed carry and extreme close combat for any lady willing to forgo the pc world and take self defense seriously.
for revolver it doesn't rally matter as both cartridges will preform quite a bit below listed figures (short barrel). It's just always gotten to me how the so called "experts" will bash 9mm (being used in an auto (which usually has at least a 4-5'' barrel)) yet will turn around and immediately suggest .38 which is significantly less powerful out of the average snubnose 2'' barrel
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

What "expert", the question was what .380 ? I answered that !
Shooting inanimate targets the slightly larger/heavier .38 beats the 9mm, on living targets there is little difference. A .38 would beat a .380, so would a 9mm. A .45 beats both :idea:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many years ago I was helping my dad move some chairs into a courthouse basement and there were dozens of old file cabinets down there so out of curiosity I looked through a couple and found a file containing details of a fatal shooting.

Some idiot was all jacked-up on PCP(angel dust) and stabbed some people and the first officer on the scene shot the guy 11 times with a 9mm one round was through a lung and another hit an artery and the guys liver was mangled but kept coming with 11 holes in him and the second officer dropped him with one shot from a 45.
I saw the autopsy pics and although none of the 9mm were immediate fatal wounds it still speaks volumes of the knock-down power of a well placed 230 grain 45.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Here's a list she can pick from Dave :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qrhSf8CEgC8
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I'm part of the revolver crowd. I like the simplicity and reliability.

Jim
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

What "expert", the question was what .380 ? I answered that !
No one here claimed to be an expert nut many people, including some so called "experts" do often support this claim.
I saw the autopsy pics and although none of the 9mm were immediate fatal wounds it still speaks volumes of the knock-down power of a well placed 230 grain 45.
Handgun bullets weigh, at most maybe a pound and usually carry less than 1,000 joules. Such a force is simply incapable of arresting a running target's forward momentum or immediately knocking them over. Bullets are designed to penetrate instead of strike a blunt force blow, because, in penetrating, more severe tissue damage is done. A bullet with sufficient energy to knock down an assailant (such as a high-speed rifle bullet) would be more likely to instead pass straight through, while not transferring the full energy (in fact only a very small percentage of the full energy) of the bullet to the victim.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A rifle bullet does not have the momentum to "knock someone down."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.