Steels

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Steels

Post by Viking45 »

I am no expert on steels but I researched some and I have had experience with several types.
I would love to have a stiletto with stag, solid brass bolsters/button,heavier brass liners and there are a few good carbon steels I wouldn't mind- 1095,5160,01 would all be great.
That would look pretty darn cool after a few months in the pocket. The brass would darken and I love the look of carbon steel that has patina.
Definitely a flat grind blade.

My question for you guys that know more about steels- Can these steels mentioned be ground in oil or water without loosing their temper?
Many of us have mentioned this type of knife but it seems if we want one it's going to have to be made on our side of the pond.
Damascus is another good candidate but I think I will stick with 1095.
ILikeStilettos

Re: Steels

Post by ILikeStilettos »

and which side of the pond is that?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:and which side of the pond is that?
If you are in OK then I am your neighbor in Southern MO 8)

We have had this discussion a few times about a little sturdier built stiletto with a carbon blade.
I wouldn't mind paying 100 bucks for a 9" built like I mentioned above.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I'm thinking if you add about $500 you have a chance. One possibility would be to buy a ridiculously large blade of the right type that could be ground into a 9" of the desired shape, but there's several hundred dollars of work making this into an auto. Pat Havlin or Bill DeShivs could do this, but not for the price. This is not a matter of losing temper, as long as the blade doesn't get too hot during grinding, the temper will be fine. Killbucket can do all that you mention except maybe the blade grind.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Realistically I think it can be done for 100 bucks. Just take a standard 9 inch and put a 1095 blade on it.
It may not be as tough as I would like but it would hold a good edge and be fine for small cutting jobs.
I think it was Greg that said "at least it won't be just a butter knife" :lol:
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Viking45 wrote:Realistically I think it can be done for 100 bucks. Just take a standard 9 inch and put a 1095 blade on it.
It may not be as tough as I would like but it would hold a good edge and be fine for small cutting jobs.
I think it was Greg that said "at least it won't be just a butter knife" :lol:
Realistically, I pay $100 bucks for the donor knife I send to the mangler and a cheap rescale is $75-100, custom bolsters (at least $100).
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My 9" Damascus flatgrind [no longer listed :( ] is damn close to what a knife should be :idea:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Vagrant wrote:My 9" Damascus flatgrind [no longer listed :( ] is damn close to what a knife should be :idea:
I've seen that knife, Al has put it through hell and back, it still opens with a good snap, closes tight, and holds a damn good edge ! and he's had and used it for several years :!:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tequiza wrote:
Vagrant wrote:My 9" Damascus flatgrind [no longer listed :( ] is damn close to what a knife should be :idea:
I've seen that knife, Al has put it through hell and back, it still opens with a good snap, closes tight, and holds a damn good edge ! and he's had and used it for several years :!:
A year or two down the road and all is still true but a little loose when open. Still in my pocket :)