Work Sux

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Work Sux

Post by Vagrant »

Work Sux. [but I gotta go there, damn it]
No arguments with that I hope.
If anyone really LOVES their job please tell us about it!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

OK, I'll admit it. I do like my job, a lot. I reserve the word love for the sleazy old broads I waste my time with, my guitars, and a few knives.
I run a tool & die shop, and sometimes the work I do in the shop is really close to the enjoyment of working on the newest knife. In fact sometimes the newest knife is in my desk drawer and comes out at lunch and breaks for work I can't do at home. Plus, I have accounts with McMaster, Grainger, etc. as well as local machine shops and industrial supply places. And though I have to be practical I can buy just about anything concievable so a hobby knifemaking expense can be piggy-backed on an order for my shop sometimes. I get whatever discounts are available to the company. Of course I keep strict account of everything I order.
But sometimes we trash a pile of brass sheet, or stainless, etc. and I don't even have to dive into the dumpster. Same thing for interesting parts like linear bearings, electrical hardware, and so on.
But I like the job itself, and the time goes by so fast it doesn't seem fair to be getting the income I make. The company is really employee friendly, and the people I work with are generally top notch. I'm one of those pain-in-the-ass- types, every place has a few, who'se never late, never sick, always available for extra duty, etc. And in a place like where I work, I can take it easy on my people, because they're already the best and don't require the kind of nursing that makes a supervisor's life hell.
So, I think the corporate success consultants would benefit from studying this case; simply treat your work force good and they'll work their butts off.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I won't go into it but, my company makes the job almost unbearable. Most places I've really enjoyed it and have almost [not quite but almost] felt quilty for taking money for having so much fun.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Vagrant-

Try Wally's proven method of cheering yourself up at work--- Begin by stealing as much stuff as you can 'til ya' get fired. After they hand you the pink slip, provide dramatic self injury accident, (soft muscle tissue is best), whilst still on company premises. Rehearse and develop convincing courtroom stutter, drool, twitch incontinence routine for settlement value uppage. (Mr. Pushbutton can coach you on that one.)

After set for life check clears and funds are secreted, become receipiant of miracle cure, able to function somewhat normally, just cain't work anymore.

If this plan is a wee bit to bold for you; hours on the clock can be put to good use after spending spree at joke-prankster shop. Try 'Fitch's Novelties' in Fitchburg, Mass., Just down the common from that big boulder they worship there. I got lotsa great stuff there back a hunnert years ago, including my first swing guard stiletto. A non-auto lock back bayonet blade, at 10 yrs. of age the floating guard amazed me unto this very day.

Did I help ya' any ?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse

P.S. If nothing else, a chuckle for the day, 'eh?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Greetings Wally
This should be done BEFORE the high explosives interface with the very large propane tank ???????????????? The tank was hidden until they cut down all the trees around it. They might as well have stenciled a "ten ring"
on it.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

the only job i ever had that i liked was a blow job!!! so i guess for me work doesn't suck! but i hate it. especially the 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. with mandatory overtime!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Wally,

That post was good for a hearty laugh :lol:

Vagrant,

Please elaborate.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I knew a lawyer that had a sign on his desk that said "Sue the Bastards".
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Another suggestion- Take whatever Ol Wally is on... Id say its working like a charm. LOL

Also-
"Illegitumus non carborundum"
wendigo

Post by wendigo »

I graduated from College In Jan. 03, B.S. Major in Computer Science, Minor In Mathematics. Since then I have been painting, pounding nails, tutoring, substitute teaching, etc. Who'd a thought? Life is good, the work scene sucks.
Last edited by wendigo on Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Vagrant,

One of the most deliberate laws enacted to lay to waste the California business man and economy, was signed into law by our departing total piece of shit ex-governor gray davis. The nutless wonder without a dick passed a law in which an employee can now sue his employer for safety violations at the work place, without being injured on the job. The employee is entitled to 25% of the fine. Every ambulance chasing attorney will be lining up at the litigation trough for this one. There is no possible way for any employer to be in full compliance with the OSHA rules. Never. So, Come on out to what was once the worlds 5th leading economy, grab a lawyer and get rich. That is, if there's anyone left with a business.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

Great point!! What strikes me as absurd is that those in the position to enact (civil) laws typically do not have real world experience in the area where they have authority. Is it any wonder that we end up with some idiotic laws? The problem is particularly bad in Fornicalia and certain other places where those advising lawmakers have a particular political agenda that is contrary to reality. Vagrant, how am I doing?

Wendigo,

You wrote "the work seen sucks" It is apparent that you were not an English major :D No malice intended!! At least you have a job (I don't)

Jim
Cooter

Tech Support

Post by Cooter »

Customer service is a fairly thankless job. 75,000 calls a month...no one calls us when they're happy. On the positive side, I'm surrounded by geeks and can usually acquire any software I need for free. Not to mention that there are a number of fans of switchblades, blowguns and high powered weapons working for me! :) One lady, very matronely, respectable lady with a SWEET auto in her purse! A present from her daddy who is a knife dealer for...damn, I forgot, but will find out cuz I'm angling for some discounts! hehe
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jim d, wrote:Wally,

That post was good for a hearty laugh :lol:

Vagrant,

Please elaborate.

Jim
Herr Corpse discussing ways to get back at nonresponsive companies?
See p.m. I'm making an effort to maintain my usual demeanor and wit on forum. :wink:
wendigo

Post by wendigo »

Okay Jim you busted me on my English, just shows me I should stay away from the key board when I've had a few. No harm, no foul. I do not have a job, I manage to find work. What I have is a bunch of part time jobs with no benefits. Oh well, welcome to the new world order.