Is this a combat dagger?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JLLostsoul

Is this a combat dagger?

Post by JLLostsoul »

Can anyone tell me about this knife. Likely age etc.
Attachments
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG (921.74 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG (936.36 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG (213.78 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG (182.45 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
sammy the blade

Re: Is this a combat dagger?

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks to be a William Rodgers from the pic. You need a pic. of the entire knife if you want more info.
2024 candidate for president
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

I posted4 pics. Do you need to see anything else?
sammy the blade

Only pics I see are of the tang stamp
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Pics are through on my screen now Sammy

JLLostsoul

The knife is a private purchase commando dagger ,I would say from 1938 through 45,but could be post war ,as its an iconic design and shape.

It has been heavily sharpened ,but the blunted point is usual as the needle tips bent or snapped off when a rib got struck during killing.The rounded or slightly angled end worked better when severing spinal cords aswell and commandos,paras and SAS often made their knives to suit their personal taste.

I have a very similar knife by Rodgers but i think yours is leather bound rather than my wood handled knife ,it gave more grip than the 3rd pattern Fairbain Sykes knives.
The alloy concentric circle grips tended to roll in the hand when soaked in blood.

This knife you have looks like a theatre made piece but without provenance its hard to prove,and someone could have made it look like a theatre made piece after the war.

I hope this helps a little and if you find out more I would like to know aswell please.

I will try and get some pics of my full bladed example ....(its stamp marked US on the leather sheath and handle )and the ones i posted were too large

Good to meet you anyway

gravknife
sammy the blade

First 2 pics didn't come up on my phone
. Most knife related questions can be answered here eventually. Lots of knowledge here, welcome to the forum!