How about an 11" Fishtail Picklock, with a 5" blad

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Would anyone else like to see a true "working" Italian?

Yes, an Italian "working" automatic would be refreshing!
89%
No, these knives are solely for display, or self-protection.
11%
I don't care whether or not they make better knives.
No votes

Total votes: 19

Fishtail Picklock

How about an 11" Fishtail Picklock, with a 5" blad

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'd REALLY like to see an 11 " Armando Beltrame Fishtail Picklock with an ATS-34 blade! Were it made with Dark Horn Scales, it would be just like the kind that saved my father's arm, (and his life!) I would sell almost all of my other Italian automatic knives, If I could have such a specimen such as this! I want a "working" Fishtail Picklock, not a "display" model.

What say you?

Scott
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

They ARE "working on" a pocket size something 8)
The real secret to a GOOD "working knife" is the steel :idea:
One of the newer "hi-tec" stainless [expensive] or good old fashion carbon steel [much cheaper] :!:
Fishtail Picklock

Correctamente, Brother!

Vagrant wrote:They ARE "working on" a pocket size something 8)
The real secret to a GOOD "working knife" is the steel :idea:
One of the newer "hi-tec" stainless [expensive] or good old fashion carbon steel [much cheaper] :!:
Vagrant: My daddy's Fishtail Picklock was very special to me! Unfortunately, my kid brother took it from my daddy's drawer (where he kept such mementos) and the Police confiscated it! It I had that old knife today, it would be worth about $2500.00! :( I LOVED that old knife! If I could have another, (manufactured from modern steels, such as CM154 or D2 tool steel, of course) it would be the sweetest working knife I could own!

Daddy used his working on the deck of navy ships as a Boatswain's Mate (he was also a member of the U.D.T (Underwater Demolition Team) These were the SEALS before 1962. The original "Frogmen."

Within a month, I am going to train to work in a Correctional Facility Near Wichita, Kansas. I plan to be working in a "segeregation unit" within six weeks after arriving "on the hill." While I have a nice assortment of Italian and American manufactured automatica within my collection from which I can carry (off duty.) I would sure like to have an original 11" Italian Fishtail Picklock with a fine cutting edge to comfort me as a backup to my off-duty revolver!

How does that sound to you?

Scott
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Mr. Scott FP,

Some observations.
1. AB does not make, and has never made, fishtail picklocks. AGA Campolin has the tooling for these knives and does make occasional runs of them.

2. Your Daddy's fishtail may have been a nice one, but worth $2500 in today's market? I think not. There is currently up at auction a steel lined 13" Coricama, one of the "holy grails" of switchblade collectiong, and it has yet to get any bid - the minimum bid being $2400.

3. I happen to like fishtails, but the blade profile would not make it a choice for me as a carry weapon. As others have pointed out, there are better styles with great steel for a lot less $$$.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

fishtail why not contact picklock pat and have him make it for you?

tryker
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

not enough choices in your poll.
D. they already have working Italian knives ..... I choose this one.

All the lever locks make great users , well built and will stand up to lots of abuse.
The speedhunter , although short lived , is/was another great knife for E.D.C.
For a stiletto that is truly usable you would have to go with one of the custom makers.
P.L.P. , burn , etc. they could make it to your specs ,but you pay for what you get , and quality doesn't come cheap.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The latest run of AGA fish are a pretty nice knife for the money. For a couple hundred bucks, or less, you could probably get one of the guys JAC mentioned to make you a blade in whatever flavor steel you want.
Fishtail Picklock

I'd like to thank everyone for their respnses,

I already have a pink AGA Campolin Fishtail Picklock, as well as one with Honey Horn scales which I had imported from Frank Beltrame.

Don't get me wrong. While I enjoy these knives very much, I feel that the ability to take and retain an edge would permit me to use the clip-type blade as a cutting tool to it's fullest. This is what I seek.

As a Corrections Officer, I can carry either my Benchmade AFO, (which I very well may) or my Benchmade 3500 (Mel Pardue.) These are WONDERFUL knives, but they don't have either the "romance" or the memories possessed by the 11", dark horn fishtail pickliock! I sure miss my dad! :cry:

While I am familiar with "Burn" (Paul Panak) and his work, I am unfamiliar with Picklock Pat. Could someone please provide me with a link?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Pat doesn't have a website ,but is a member here .
you can contact him by sending a p.m.
here are a few of his recent photos.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=9499&start=0
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Just to clarify my post from above. I was talking about a replacement blade, not an entire knife for that money.
Grim

Post by Grim »

j.a.c. wrote:not enough choices in your poll.

All the lever locks make great users , well built and will stand up to lots of abuse.
For a stiletto that is truly usable you would have to go with one of the custom makers.
P.L.P. , burn , etc. they could make it to your specs ,but you pay for what you get , and quality doesn't come cheap.
J.a.c is right there are many italian users out on the market leverlock,speedhunter etc but as stilettos go as a working knife i think this is what due boi was trying to acomplish with the fully forged stiletto :idea: .Stilettos in General are not working knives they were made with one intent to be used as a weapon.
Fishtail Picklock

whippersnapper wrote:The latest run of AGA fish are a pretty nice knife for the money. For a couple hundred bucks, or less, you could probably get one of the guys JAC mentioned to make you a blade in whatever flavor steel you want.
Perhaps I could get someone to replace the blade on my Frank Beltrame, Honey Horn, 9 3/4" Fishtail Picklock with one of identical dimensions manufactured from either CM-154, or D2 steel. It would be worth it to me. I believe that if I had one installed, I would make a modern pouch similar to one that held dad's FTPL. A D2 steel blade would be a tool that could be used.

If all else fails I can carry my Buck 110 that has been converted to operate automatically. It's a great knife, and the 440C Steel really holds an edge! The functional aspect of this knife remains unchallenged. Its a real workhorse, not just a "playpretty!" 8)

Scott
Fishtail Picklock

Grim wrote:
j.a.c. wrote:not enough choices in your poll.

J.a.c is right there are many italian users out on the market leverlock,speedhunter etc but as stilettos go as a working knife i think this is what due boi was trying to acomplish with the fully forged stiletto :idea: .Stilettos in General are not working knives they were made with one intent to be used as a weapon.
I'll agree with you there! I LOVE the "fully forged" concept! If I could only get due boi to manufacture one of there superb automatics with a "clip point" blade, and a set of real horn scales. (They already make those!) This would make for a GREAT Italian "working" knife! :idea: :wink:

Scott
Grim

Post by Grim »

Scott im sure if your willing to pay the money Picklock pat or another custom guy will talk to you about making The fishtail of your dreams.As already suggested Id go for it.Also another choice if your looking for a knife similar to your dads you might want to try checking out the auction sites Sharperdeals Knifeauction etc.Alot of vintage knives can end up there.
Fishtail Picklock

Dad's knife.

Grim wrote:Scott im sure if your willing to pay the money Picklock pat or another custom guy will talk to you about making The fishtail of your dreams.As already suggested Id go for it.Also another choice if your looking for a knife similar to your dads you might want to try checking out the auction sites Sharperdeals Knifeauction etc.Alot of vintage knives can end up there.
Father's Fishtail Picklock was of the old carbon steel variety. If memory serves me correctly, it was 10.75" open. The old Dark Horn was VERY stout! :) It would rust easily, but sat in his "mementos" drawer, in the same twin pouch as his marlinspike with an adjustable end wrench silver soldered onto the end. The tool was then nickle-plated for corrosion resistance in the harsh salt air environment on board ship as well as on the port docks where he performed most of his peacetime duties as a Boatswatins Mate 1st Class.

This is why I believe that truly modern materials can bring this real-life "working' Italian legend back during the dawn of the 21st century. Does that seem too far-fetched? I don't really think it is. I believe that a blending of old-world craftsmanship with 21st century materials and precision machining could rekindle a flame that, for at least 40 years, has grown dim with the slipshod, the expedient, the mass-production accompanied by a gradually diminishing levels in quality.

I may be a dreamer, but dreamers can inspire others to create something special... something that can survive into the 22nd century! :idea: Benchmade accomplished this. Why can't either Armando or Franceso Beltrame bring back the glory of the 1950's? The "forged stilletos" are ample evidence of this!

Plese tell me that such a revival is neither "impossible" nor "incomprehensible!" Those words shouldn't be in our lexicon.

This seems to be worth serious contemplation!

Scott