Remove handle covers?

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wreck

Remove handle covers?

Post by wreck »

Hi,

I ordered a couple of low-cost stilettos from SKM, and they messed up the order and gave me a bayonet blade with a white handle and a kris blade with a black handle when it was supposed to be the reverse. I sent them an email but they didn't seem to get what I was saying and are apparently going to send me new handle covers.

All I really want to do is switch the handles/handle covers/whatever. I have no idea how to do that or what tools I'd need.

Can anyone help me out?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Changing the handles (scales as they are often refered to) is not a simple task with pinned scales like on the "cheap" stilettos and on a great many of not so cheap stilettos. You would have to remove the existing scales which involves taking the knife apart to some degree. As each knife is essentially hand finished, your new scales would also have to be fitted to match the profile of the individual knife. There is more, but suffice to say this is not a project for the novice.

Get back to SKM and patiently explain one more time your dilemma. English is not their first language so be overly precise. They should understand and send you replacements. How you get the wrong ones back to them is something you will work out.

Good Luck
wreck

Post by wreck »

Damn... I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that. I'm kind of annoyed that all three knives I ordered from them came with the wrong scales. Thanks for your help though, I'll try talking to SKM again.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Another option would be to keep them as they are and buy some good Italians from Stu on BA. He usually has a good assortment at very good prices. Keep the cheap line to practice pinning and mods.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Wreck,
Did you try an on-line English to Italian translater, like Babblefish? When I've dealt with folks, for whom English is a second language, I usually send the message in both English and a translated version. The translators are not perfect but, can be useful.
SKM sending new scales is a new one to me.
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
wreck

Post by wreck »

No language problems after I sent them another email like natcherly
suggested. They were really good about it, and are sending some replacement knives. Adding a babelfish translation to my first email would have been a good idea though, I imagine.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hi!

Guess we'll have to better train SKM staff with English language... :-)

M.