Godfather for stiletto collectors??

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Godfather for stiletto collectors??

Post by jim d, »

For some time, I have thought that a Protech Godfather with the combination of a mirror polished blade (they have been offered before), ivory micarta or horn scales (both have been offered before), and nickle silver bolsters (I'm not sure if these have been offered as of yet) would be a big hit with stiletto collectors. I would certainly buy one, and if a lot of us would do the same, perhaps we could make this model a reality by requesting it in numbers. What do you think?

Here is the e-mail of the head of Protech:

dave@protechknives.com

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Jim,
I'm in on that one 100% 8)
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Are we working towards another Forum Kife here :idea:

Either way I'll give PT a blast.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim
It would only take a change in handle material, but it would be very heavy.
Bill
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

natcherly,

No, not a forum knife, but a knife that will actually be available.

Jim
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Jim,

I think the type of knife you described would be sensational, I'd certainly want one.

Having recently machined a nickel silver knife, and then an aluminum one, though, I wonder if Pro Tech would be willing to do this on a limited basis. The two materials machine differently; the aluminum is much easier on tools and faster feeds can be used. They'd probably need to make quite a few adjustments in their tooling, procurement, and documentation procedures, as you most likely know.

They do also make titanium frames though, so maybe nickel silver wouldn't be too wild an idea for them.

I bet it would be a really popular item.

TomR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Put me down for one............or more. :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I'm embarrassed! Dave from Protech wrote to me and explained the obvious that a Godfather does not have bolsters, but that the bolster area is part of the frame. Of course it is, what was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking.

According to Dave, they don't have plans to include nickle silver as a material, but could build a model with a polished blade. ivory micarta or horn inlays, and the usual aluminum or titanium frame. I have see photos of models that have a satin aluminim finish and it appears quite attractive. I told Dave that I would try to assess the level of interest in such a model. Your thoughts?

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Jim,
I'm in for either the Ivory,or the horn :D
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Whatever the frame material, I think the polished blade is what will enhance appearence,especially on the Tux model and the Burlwoods.
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »

Well, I really want a Godfather, so count me in.
BladeLover

Horny Godfather

Post by BladeLover »

Jim:

A horn Godfather with mirror polished blade would be as good as the Geico gecko doing the robot....the bomb! :lol: :lol: :lol: Count me in.

Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Jim D-

I want an 11" one with a Kriss blade.

( I know, I know- "Geez, here he goes again!")

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

jim d, wrote: Dave from Protech wrote to me...
Jim
I got a response from him as well. I guess these guys work weekends! He sent me some stuff on custom knives, but I don't want to go there. Let's see if we can promote PT to do a run of GF's with polished blade and good looking scales. Could call it the Italian Inspiration (Spagetti Special, Cianti Cutter?)

Whatever, I would be a buyer.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Jim,

I've been thinking about this, came to the realization that a business will do what it has to to satisfy a demand, if the price is right, and the damand is great enough. I have to believe that a nickel silver version of the Godfather is well within Pro Techs means. I just wonder what they'd consider a reasonable (for them) price. When a company says it has no plans to do thus-and-such, in my experience it means one of two things; they've given the matter some thought previously and rejected it, or the idea never occurred to them, and they're going to start talking about it to see if there's a profit to be made.

Personally, I like the Godfather, but feel Pro Tech has a tendancy to make it too "tactical" in nature. The shot blasted and black blades really don't turn me on, and a polished blade would be prefferable. But if you look at their website, it's pretty easy to tell what markets they're aiming their products at. Not collectors, per se.

By the way, I don't think you were wrong to call the bolsters "bolsters", in my opinion that's what they are, part of the frame or not.

Pro Tech seems to be trying out some new ideas lately; purple burled maple scales, "wildwood" scales, etc., maybe this would be a good time to suggest some different features. I think it's just a question of what they consider the demand to be.

If they'd just polish the damned aluminum frames and the blades, slap on some imitation ivory scales (which they already do), the effect would be close to what you've described. I'm sure they could handle that.

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing that the end result would hit the market at around $350.00-$450.00 MSRP. What do you think?

TomR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?