tang stamp "6"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
porkchop

tang stamp "6"

Post by porkchop »

I have a couple of knives with tang stamp "MADE ITALY with 6 below that. Anyone know what the 6 means or stands for?
JulesVane

Re: tang stamp "6"

Post by JulesVane »

Seen it on quite a few auto and manuals. Never heard much info on it.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

porkchop
I have also pondered over the number stamps on italians .
I have a knife marked 2 ,seen a stag stamped 4 and now your examples are marked 6.
I wondered if it was a mark to denote scale material for a particular knife .
Are your scales materials the same on your two examples ?
Can you post a picture aswell if you get a chance .
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I remember a thread where Bill DeShivs identified a stiletto marked with a 6 under "Made Italy" as being made by Mauro Mario.

As far as what the 6 means, who knows, maybe a model number.

Look inside the knife with a flashlight at the inner surfaces of the liners. See if you can see a little 6 stamped anywhere. There are stilettos that have every part stamped with a single number (not always visible when assembled). From what I've read, the reason behind this is- back in a time when a single worker would assemble a single knife from beginning to end, and take the time to custom fit the parts so the knife would function properly, they would stamp each piece of the knife with the same number so that the parts of the knife they were working on would not accidentally get mixed up with parts from other knives.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

The stamp was used by Cleveland Cutlery Co. but that is all I know. I don't believe Mauro Mario, who were two brothers, actually made knives and they contracted with one of the shops to make knives for them.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

The thread I referenced in my previous post- viewtopic.php?t=25222

In post #5 Mr. DeShivs specifically said "made by Mauro Mario company in Maniago".

In this thread Bill says that Rosco knives were made by Mauro Mario- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6449&hilit=Mauro+Mario+Wandy

In this thread Bill says that Wandy knives were made by the Mauro Mario consortium (Angelo Campolin Sr.)- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4012&hilit=Mauro+Mario+Wandy

I provide those links just to show my source.

And in this thread Bill provides more specifics about Mauro Mario- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20275&p=240895&hili ... um#p240895

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Angelo Campolin, Sr. was the production manager for Mauro Mario. Whether there was a MM manufactory, I don't know.
Perhaps the brothers were simply contractors. Perhaps Campolin made their knives.

I have not researched this. There are some who have, but they guard their information because they think it gives them "power."

I suspect all of the Maniago cutlers did (and still do) cooperate and sell each others' wares.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Some pics of a knife with 6 under "Made Italy", and "Cleveland Cutlery Co." on the reverse. Not my knife.

It would be nice to have definitive sources for who made what when it comes to Italian stilettos, but I know that's a lot to ask for.

Twobit

Post by Twobit »

To your point, Killgar, I've been trying to identify this swing guard without success. I can't value it very accurately since I can't say who made it. I won it on the blade auction site some twenty - plus years ago. It was claimed by the seller to be from Jndiana, Maniago. But according to what has been said on here by folks more learned than myself, Jndiana is an importer, not a maker so I don't know where that leaves me. The only stamp is "Stainless, Italy.
Attachments
IMG_20240102_055840351.jpg
IMG_20240102_055840351.jpg (306.18 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have several of the 6 marked manuals.....Well made knives by who ever made them.

Twobit, I believe your swing guard is too modern to be the importer you asked about. The tang stamp is used last 25 years to current days.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

both of the knives with the 6 stamp are manual folders with horn handles; one is 11" and the other is 13"
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 pm Angelo Campolin, Sr. was the production manager for Mauro Mario. Whether there was a MM manufactory, I don't know.
Perhaps the brothers were simply contractors. Perhaps Campolin made their knives.

I have not researched this. There are some who have, but they guard their information because they think it gives them "power."

I suspect all of the Maniago cutlers did (and still do) cooperate and sell each others' wares.
Campolin making knives for MM is a good theory. I think MM were salesman with one working in Europe and the other in the U.S., is what I recall reading from someone who researched it but who knows. There is a lot of mystery regarding 1950s Italian switchblades.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I checked my two manual folders with a flashlight as suggested but didn't see anything makes inside.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Sweet Kriss manual picklock folder. . . light horn . . . .
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Sweet Kriss manual picklock folder. . . light horn . . . .