Grandpa's Coricama Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MSPNYC

Grandpa's Coricama Switchblade

Post by MSPNYC »

I'm new here, so please excuse me if I'm breaking proper etiquette – but I'm looking to get more info on the Coricama switchblade I inherited from my grandfather. The story I was told is that he purchased this knife overseas sometime around WW2. Not sure how accurate that is...

The knife is about 3" closed and close to 6" open. Guessing it's made of steel but I'm not sure. The handle must be horn. It stamped with CORICAMA MADE IN ITALY. No other stamps on the knife. It still functions perfectly which is pretty amazing given its age. Opens and closes with no issues. The safety/lock works as intended.

Just curious what any experts/collectors think of it. Any idea of its actual age? Is this a common knife or something more rare/sought after?
Attachments
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg (521.43 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (342.26 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (329.76 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (298.16 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (290.46 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
Twobit

Re: Grandpa's Coricama Switchblade

Post by Twobit »

I'm seeing a grain that suggests to me that the scales are some kind of wood but I'm no expert. I also believe it's probably pretty rare but again I only know the name from this forum to which I'm also relatively new. Great back story too. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be glad to inform you better but I did want to welcome you and put in my amateurish two bits lol
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife was made in the mid to late 1950s. It could have been purchased overseas.
Handles are horn. The size is one of the rarer Coricama sizes in the US.
You should use WD 40 and a cloth or paper towels to wipe down all the rusted steel on the knife. Do this over several days to allow the WD 40 to soften and remove the rust. Do not use anything abrasive.
It's a very nice little switchblade.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
MSPNYC

Post by MSPNYC »

Thanks Bill. Appreciate that info.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

There you go. I'm getting used to the taste of my foot, but I did say someone would give you better information
MSPNYC

Post by MSPNYC »

No worries Twobit. You're both saying it's rare, so you got some of it right.

And I actually have 2 of these. The other is in better condition.

Now I'm curious what it's worth. I would consider selling/auctioning since I have two but it'd have to be worth it. Knowing my grandpa he'd want the money instead of 'all the junk'. Haha.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

My advice, if you are interested in preserving it's value (and there might be collectors interested in it) is-

1. Store the knife open to reduce stress on the sear (release mechanism).

2. Don't fire it (open and close it).

The more you fire it the greater the risk of breaking the spring. And a knife with an intact original spring is worth more than a knife modified with a replacement spring (and that's if you could find someone to fix it). Of course it's fun to fire a switchblade, but again, if preserving it's value is important to you, the less you open and close it the better.

As far as dollar value, it's hard to tell. But I see that a 4.5" Coricama sold last year on Arizona Customs for $700, although it was in better shape than yours. But this might give you an idea of what some Coricamas sell for.

EDIT: I just read your last post. Can you post pictures of the other knife?
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
MSPNYC

Post by MSPNYC »

Thanks for that advice Killgar – and the estimation on value.

I've had it stored closed for over 20 years, so I'll change that up.

The knife is never fired. It sits in a box with lots of other treasures my grandfather was ready to throw away.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Sweetheart Cutie-pie . . . .wonderful Knife !
Dana Balinger

Post by Dana Balinger »

.... nice treasure you inherited there.... !! .. the old yellowed handle scales are Brazilian cow horn, and this color only comes with age.. originally was a lighter, more white-ish color... DO NOT CLEAN THE HANDLES... !!! ... WD wipedown is the most you should do to the blade... is it steel or brass lined...? .. you say you have another, too..is it the same size.. ?,.. will be following your comments.. thanx for posting...
MSPNYC

Post by MSPNYC »

Brazilian cow horn? Very interesting. Thanks so much for that.

I'm not super familiar with the anatomy of knives however there are def some, seemingly, steel parts and brass parts to the knife.
I do not plan on cleaning any of this knife, not even the blade/metal parts. Its looked the same since I got it years ago, so the condition is not deteriorating in storage.

The second knife is the exact same size, etc. Handle is very similar, must be Brazilian cow horn as well. The blade is less abused.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

It's a great little knife, for sure! The 4.5" one that sold on Arizona Custom Knives for $700, was actually a rare swivel bolster, which the fact that it's a swivel bolster Coricama in a rare size. But, your knife has definite big value.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
MSPNYC

Post by MSPNYC »

I looked at the one sold on Arizona Customs. Neither of mine are in comparable condition. Maybe I’ll email them too. I’m sure a collector would enjoy this knife more than me. And I have another.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Great little stilletto!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Whether you can tell it or not, the red rust is slowly eating deeper into the steel-and it will continue to do so as long as it is there. The application of oil can slow this progression.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.