Latama v Frank B

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bryson123

Latama v Frank B

Post by bryson123 »

Is there any difference between a Latama 2023 picklok model and a Frank B 2023 picklok model other than price?
john

Re: Latama v Frank B

Post by john »

In my opinion…
The knives made for Walt, Latama, should be nearly perfect in every way.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

The Frank Beltrame brand knives should have 4mm thick blades and springs, but the Latama's have 5mm thick blades and springs.

Of course they were all made by "Frank Beltrame", but I assume that FB and Walt Haluchua of Latama have an agreement that FB will only make 5mm thick stilettos for Latama.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

bryson123

Buyers choice as both are fine knives .from what I have seen posted here..

I think as John said maybe more quality control goes into the Walts knives , and some collectors like the "Walts Latama " stamp itself .
Someone who has both hopefully will comment with their views and side by side comparisons .
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I've never owned a Walt's Latama, but they are overpriced IMO. You can get a 1950s picklock in the same price range and sometimes less if you are patient. If I wanted to buy a new stiletto, I would go for the standard Frank B which costs less than $200.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I've got two Frank B's, one was a rescale that I bought at sharper deals, the other has abalone scales and a safety, I'm not sure, but I think it came from AIK.
Both function well (I wish I had a safety on the rescale), open with a very good snap and are straight with no play up down or sideways when open.
Yeah, the blade and spring are 4mm, but I'm not planning on doing a torture test to try to make either of them fail; so, what's a millimeter in the overall scheme of things.
I have a bunch of Latamas too and they're fine knives, but recently Walt's Latamas are approaching the unaffordable range for me.

Hell, I got this Tulwar with a 200+ year old crucible steel blade for $400.
Granted it's not a switchblade, but the secret to making crucible steel has been lost to the modern world.
Attachments
flex.jpg
flex.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Mario

Post by Mario »

I would love to get a Latama, but the highest I’m willing to go on a knife is $250 and I can never find any that are in my price range.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I was always the same way about purchasing things I liked. I always talked myself out of the more expensive things and would buy the cheaper ones. For years I did this with stuff I liked. Know I save my money and get what I want. I would rather have four top of the line knives than a dozen cheaper knives. This is just the way I look at it now.
john

Post by john »

Graybeard wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:11 pm I was always the same way about purchasing things I liked. I always talked myself out of the more expensive things and would buy the cheaper ones. For years I did this with stuff I liked. Know I save my money and get what I want. I would rather have four top of the line knives than a dozen cheaper knives. This is just the way I look at it now.
I Agree 👍
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed