13” picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
PlatonicSolid

13” picklock

Post by PlatonicSolid »

Can anyone point me in the direction of some other 13” picklock models which are comparable to the AGA flat guards in quality? I’d like to add a few more of this size to my small collection but I’m having a hard time pinpointing any that would qualify. Have there been any others made more recently or would I need to seek out something vintage from the pre-ban era?
thom

Re: 13” picklock

Post by thom »

Do you like the older 13” AGA’s? I have some pictured in the “ blade pictures “ Not flat guard but really nice horn. They are from 2003,
PlatonicSolid

Post by PlatonicSolid »

thom wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:07 pm Do you like the older 13” AGA’s? I have some pictured in the “ blade pictures “ Not flat guard but really nice horn. They are from 2003,

Thanks Thom, those are real beauties! I didn’t search the “blade pictures” thread :roll:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, 5mm/D-stamped/2-piece spring.. lovely horn etc. a few years ago I handled a 13” Frank B and it felt too thin for the length, wobbly, just not too impressive to me. Soured me on the size until I took a shot on one of the AGA flat guards recently. Now I see what a jewel a 13” stiletto can be! I have some catching up to do!

I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those 2003s for sure but I don’t see them coming up too often here in the “buy/sell” section..

Any others I should be aware of?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

PlatonicSolid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 pm ... a few years ago I handled a 13” Frank B and it felt too thin for the length, wobbly, just not too impressive to me. Soured me on the size until I took a shot on one of the AGA flat guards recently. Now I see what a jewel a 13” stiletto can be! I have some catching up to do!
Most likely Frank B did not make that 13" knife you once handled. Back then he specialized in 9" and 11". Renzo Beltrame, not necessarily a relation to Frank, built the 13's. That did not stop other makers from buying those 13's and adding them to their product line, sometimes with their tang stamp rather than that of the original maker.