FYI New Latamas

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
WheelingWV

FYI New Latamas

Post by WheelingWV »

FYI, Walt added new inventory on his site. Latama.net😁
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
WheelingWV

Re: FYI New Latamas

Post by WheelingWV »

I didn’t have a stag scales handle or a Damascus blade in my small collection... so I just HAD to grab this picklock to kill two birds with one stone.😂
https://imgur.com/a/sycW9kE
Last edited by WheelingWV on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like a nice one!
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Figures Walt would have to tempt me with the half-grind flatguard picklocks. Is there no end to my wants in this hobby!? lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Thank you SammyTheBlade, I’m sure I’ll love it. And yes, JulesVane, this qualifies as an addiction.
PlatonicSolid

Post by PlatonicSolid »

Maybe a silly question.. but how are the quality of these flat guard picklocks compared to the wasp body flat guards from AGA? The price difference suggests that Walts are perhaps more carefully crafted or labor intensive or quality controlled, but am I correct to note that Walts liners are not D-stamped? No disrespect meant here but I wonder if the Latama stamp is worked into the price? On paper I don’t see many other reasons to account for the cost difference. Is Frank B still making these for Walt?

Thinking of picking one up anyway of course.. to compare for myself. But if anyone has any thoughts before I do I’d be interested to read them.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

True, Walt’s are not “D” stamped and a one piece spring compared to the A.G.A. Campolin “D” stamped and two piece spring. As far as I know, Walt’s are still made by Frank Beltrame. I’m happy to have both in my collection.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

WheelingWV wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 pm I didn’t have a stag scales handle or a Damascus blade in my small collection... so I just HAD to grab this picklock to kill two birds with one stone.😂
https://imgur.com/a/sycW9kE
Last edited by WheelingWV on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Well, mine arrived today. No complaints whatsoever. It's really a beautiful knife. I opted for the blonde horn...

thom

Post by thom »

That is a beauty. Damn I don't remember seeing that one. Is there file work on that one?
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 pm That is a beauty. Damn I don't remember seeing that one. Is there file work on that one?
Thom
Thanks Thom, no, no filework. I had really liked the white bone that Walt offered, but the front scale on this one kinda' looked similar enough for the lesser price. It sure is pretty. Sits deep and centered. Fires great. All good!

thom

Post by thom »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:10 pm
thom wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 pm That is a beauty. Damn I don't remember seeing that one. Is there file work on that one?
Thom
Thanks Thom, no, no filework. I had really liked the white bone that Walt offered, but the front scale on this one kinda' looked similar enough for the lesser price. It sure is pretty. Sits deep and centered. Fires great. All good!
Oh, it looked like it has the jewel button. Must be the light. I just ordered a Blonde Horn classic myself. This batch has some really nice blonde horn.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Beautiful.....
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Sweet!