Buck 110 Autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: Buck 110 Autos

Post by Tom19176 »

I don't have one to "show you" as I don't buy and support their stuff. I have seen and handled many at knife and gun shows within the last 7 months as they have been cancelled since.

Are you saying the China copies have steel that are any where near the quality of the USA made Bucks? BOS heat treated? Really?
djones

Post by djones »

:D
Last edited by djones on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

First thanks as I am a nice guy and am not trying to argue with you. I am simply against items marked with another company name when they are not from that company. Many items lately are being offered as the real product when they are copies. I have pointed out fake AKC and "GOM" knives at shows to dealers selling them as real, and in almost all cases ( one on line dealer who knew they were fakes) the dealers thought they had the real product. I have had a few dealers call me over to ask if the knife some one was selling them was real or not. Bill's Leverletto and Hubertus fakes are every where and you and I may know they are fakes but others don't.
As you see in the links I posted they are sending these in fake Buck boxes too. Fake sheaths with the Buck name. I just can't support that. As for the quality of some knives made in China, I totally agree that some are of excellent quality but I would question the real steel used as they do tend to miss mark what is used unless they are making the item under the direct supervision of a contracting company.
I am 60 and have collected for 54 years. Japan use to make junk knives but now they are superior makers. Twain has become the second to Japan and yes China can do very well. If Pakistan has really gotten better than I must have missed it ! They still seem to have steel quality issues.

Thanks of the test and comparison offer but I will pass. The Buck 110 pattern has been copied by many US companies over the years, but they used their name on it ).
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

After handling one of the 110 auto clones , I started suspecting that most of the knives being advertised as conversions, are in fact clones and not converted US made 110's. IMO these never started out as manual 110's.

Buck doesn't have equipment in China, their China made knives are contracted out to Chinese manufacturers. The 110 was never made in China

And yes there's a difference. The wood used for the scales is different and doesn't appear to be stabilized, the bolsters are shaped a little differently and have sharper edges. If you place a real 110 over a clone , the overall size is slightly off.
Also the blade shape and placement of the nail nick is off.

Quality wise, I believe it would probably fool most anyone.

Thankfully Buck started to make their own autos, so until the thieves start cloning the new 110/112 autos, we can easily tell them apart just by the shape of the button. And they start at $129, so there's really no reason to buy a fake.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I bought both a Buck 110 Auto Elite (nickel silver bolsters and CPM-S30V steel blade) and a 110 Auto (brass bolsters and a 420HC steel blade). I carry the Auto Elite because the bolsters won't corrode in the leather pouch.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

In my admittedly limited experience with APC (automatic pocket cutlery) I have only seen one of the "factory autos" from Buck in real life (as opposed to photographs) and it left a lot to be desired..... the deployment button seemed flimsy and loose, and just..... well.... cheap. The knife would frequently open only partway -- very possibly due to a spring issue. I was not impressed. BTW, the Buck site clearly states that you have to be authorized to purchase their automatics; I took this to mean "by the government" but it's possible that private security folks might qualify too. You'd have to ask the Buck people.

Last year, I was fortunate enough to find a conversion by Cumberland Mountain Knife & Tool at the bargain price of $100 from a private seller. I can find out virtually nothing about this company, so it may have gone out of business. They did a great conversion, though..... nice flush button; strong snap (leaf spring); and non-reflective coating on the blade. I have only ever found one other mention of Buck conversions by the CMK&T company; the first photo here was posted online by RayJay quite some time ago, and shows two Buck 112s with flush buttons (one for lefties). All of the other photos are of my knife. If anyone knows what type of wood is on my Buck, and whether it is factory-original or part of the conversion, I would appreciate the info!
Attachments
Buck_112_auto__CumberlandMtn__C.jpg
Buck_112_auto__CumberlandMtn__C.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
Buck_110__424__blade_markings.jpg
Buck_110__424__blade_markings.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
Buck_110__421__ricasso_O.jpg
Buck_110__421__ricasso_O.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
Buck_110__419__open_O.jpg
Buck_110__419__open_O.jpg (425.96 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
Buck_110__412__closed_O.jpg
Buck_110__412__closed_O.jpg (253.67 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
sprink

Post by sprink »

These are what i have aquired , I strongly believe these are all USA made and converted here in the US , The 50th anniversary came from AIK. They are also all Dual action which i personally prefer .
Attachments
20200928_180618.jpg
20200928_180618.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
20200928_180908 (2).jpg
20200928_180908 (2).jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
boots

Post by boots »

Just received my Buck 110 Elite auto and I can say with total confidence this is a true American knife. It's crazy how the US can let in knock offs into the country. I have 4 Buck autos in my collection at the moment and I can truly say, the quality of these knives is well above what China can produce.