Blade wobble fix

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SharpKnives86

Blade wobble fix

Post by SharpKnives86 »

The side by side blade wobble on my bolster lock Italian stiletto has gotten noticably worse since I first got it about a month ago. The gap between the brass liner and the blade has gotten wider too. I know blade wobble is to be expected and I have been playing this thing quite a bit so I take full responsibility for the extra wobble it has. Just wondering if there is an easy fix for it or not?
whippersnapper

Re: Blade wobble fix

Post by whippersnapper »

About all you can do is carefully peen the pivot pin tighter.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 pm About all you can do is carefully peen the pivot pin tighter.
That's what I thought. Thank you
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

So after doing some research on peening bolster pins, I attempted to try it myself but I haven't seen much if any difference in the pins themselves and I seemed to habe made the blade wobble slightly worse. I probably won't make anymore attempts to tighten the blade myself but I was wondering if anyone thought it's even worth paying and sending it someone else to fix or just leave it as is especially since it's not an antique or anything and isn't used for anything beyond click therapy? I'm just really OCD about blade wobble even though I know with this style of knife, blade play is to be expected especially the more the knife is played with.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The only way you could have made it worse is by not using an anvil (or similar) to support the back side of the pin you are peening.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:28 pm The only way you could have made it worse is by not using an anvil (or similar) to support the back side of the pin you are peening.
I used the flat surface on my table vise. Hmm it's definitely more wobbely than it was. Could I have been hitting it too hard or at an improper angle?
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You weren't hitting it to hard or it wouldn't open at all. Try tapping it just a little harder, fire it and if it's still wobbeling tap it again. Keep at it a little at a time but don't over do it. Patience grasshopper, that's the ticket. Or you could send it to a pro.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I’m sure this is a silly question, but you are lightly tapping each side of the pivot pin and not only one side?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

JulesVane wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:31 pm I’m sure this is a silly question, but you are lightly tapping each side of the pivot pin and not only one side?
Yes. Is there one side of the knife I should concentrate more on? The blade still has good kick when fired and no back/fourth or up/down wobble, just the side x side play which got worse after my first peening attempt. I hate even asking bu would putting it in a vise work or perhaps just hitting it too lightly?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't put it in a vise.
When peening, you are deforming the head of the pin further.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:49 pm Don't put it in a vise.
When peening, you are deforming the head of the pin further.
I shall trust your wisdom Mr. DeShivs. No vise. Should i peen one side of the knife or both sides equally? I spent most of my concentration the pin on the right bolster (the one that releases the blade) because its the side with the biggest gap between the blade.
My
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You should be able to squeeze the handles together to eliminate the gap. Then, peen both sides.
If you over-peen the swivel side, it will hang up.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have only peened a dozen or so pivot pins so not an expert peener- so this might be wrong. I have found that sometimes the pin seems a bit too long. If I carefully take a file and take down some of the metal on the ends (dome), I can more easily go around the pin and tighten with softer strikes. It also will leave a thinner somewhat sharp "burr"on the edge that is easier to peen over.

Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say....It might be worth a try.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Whippersnapper is correct. Sometimes the pins are too long.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

whippersnapper wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm I have only peened a dozen or so pivot pins so not an expert peener- so this might be wrong. I have found that sometimes the pin seems a bit too long. If I carefully take a file and take down some of the metal on the ends (dome), I can more easily go around the pin and tighten with softer strikes. It also will leave a thinner somewhat sharp "burr"on the edge that is easier to peen over.

Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say....It might be worth a try.
I'll give it a try. Many thanks to everyone who had responded to me!